We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

usb keys

conrail

Likes # 0

probably a daft question but I carry videos/photos of granddaughter on 8Gb usb keys to show friends and family, easier than on discs, any idea on why some will work with some TV's and others wont, ie on my TV a Sandisk drive works but a Kinston isn't recognised, both came formatted to FAT 32, is there anything I need to do to have them both working the same, I have formatted both to FAT32 but still the same, TV wont accept anything bigger that 8GB formatted to FAT 32?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do the TV manuals give any instructions?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Most TVs / recorders use Linux base systems and sticks / drives seem to work better on the ext2 format.

To format a stick as ext2 you will need to boot from a live linux CD r have linux installed as a dual boot on your windows system.

To access files on an ext2 partition in Windows you need the IFS utility

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks for reply Woolwell, manual just says: 'Some USB compliant devices may not be supported.' thanks also Fruit Bat /\0/\, the options are DTV/USB which I usually select and ext1 and ext1S

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

My PVR is also hopeless at recognising an individual device. It may work for several transfers, then stop.

A re-plugging may work or it may take a full reboot or I may swap to another device, till it plays up with that as well.

I've seen others moan about it too, and with new devices from various manufacturers and other models of my PVR (Sagem). It's not a connection issue just crap software in my case.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I think you have misunderstood my post

ext1 - ext1S will be selectable external input connections to your TV

I am talking about a file system used in linux ext2 (windows uses FAT32 and NTFS).

the drive may be recognised better when formatted using the ext2 file system in linux rather than FAT32.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...