We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

very stupid person

kimtrnc

Likes # 0

I have just managed to lose all my Gmail messages, both in and out.

How I managed to do that, after decades of happy messaging, I cannot explain and my face is now extremely RED.

Anyone tell this ancient idiot how I can retrieve my gmail messages, most particularly incoming, though outgoing would also be useful.....

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Not guaranteed, but you could try a System Restore back to when all was OK.

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

How do you access Gmail? Using a computer I normally access it through a browser (webmail) but on my phone there is a synchronised copy held on the device. Is it a local copy that you have lost? If so, you should still have the messages saved as webmail.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

System restore doesn't retrieve data. Which e-mail client are you using or is it webmail?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Can you remember anything of what you were doing when they disappeared?

Presuming they are on your PC's harddrive and not webmail?

What email client are you using? and what is your OS (W7,Vista,XP)

System restore won't AFAIK get personal data back.

Have you logged onto Webmail">http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html&zy=l&bsv=zpwhtygjntrz&scc=1&ltmpl=default&ltmplcache=2&hl=en-GB">Webmail Gmail to see if they are all still on the Server?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Links are playing up again.... try this http://tinyurl.com/7ybuud2

Like this post
kimtrnc

Likes # 0

Great idea, but unfortunately it didn't work. I used system restore, back to a few days when everything was working properly.

Lotvic, I am using Gmail directly, via firefox. Never had a problem before. My system is XP. Not sure which version. I was taking off unwanted messages when the system cleared everything...except some stuff that I last saw about 3 years ago! The link you sent me did not work at all, I'm afriad.

Woolwell, I use Gmail directly. I CAN use Thunderbird, I think, but that too is erratic. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just won't.

Beginning to look as if I will have to upgrade to Win 7, which I hate. Thanks everyone for trying to help/

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

When you delete gmail using your browser Firefox (webmail) then it goes to the bin folder. Unless you emptied that all of your e-mails should be there.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps this has nothing to do with XP or W7.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You seem to be using Webmail Gmail. As per Woolwell says: Everything will be in the Bin folder so open the Bin and select all the emails then click on the icon that looks like a folder which will bring up a menu of folders you can move them to.

(note: the move folder icon will not appear until after you have ticked/selected some emails)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks