We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Want to use laptop in the motor vehicle

catpwss
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,I'm looking to use my laptop in the car,firstly what would one need to convert voltage etc,Secondly will there be a large drain on the car battery whilst car is on stop. The laptop is a HP Compaq Presario CQ61. Any help please. Thanks.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

click here

Have never used one in a vehicle, but I doubt if it would drain the battery too much.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Discussion here

The laptop will still think it is running on mains. Set your power options down a bit like a Battery Profile. eg lower screen brightness etc.

My CQ61 idles/simple browsing at 30+W'ish.

Watching videos/gaming will bump it up considerably.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The item in the link would probably do the job, as would an inverter, but both would be reliant on a good battery that holds its power. if you were going to use either device connected to a laptop while using for long periods, then the vehicle battery might suffer a loss, which could result in ignition and other device failures.

Used wisely, and you will most likely be okay. Make sure though that you have a protection device in whatever you use, in case of sudden power or voltage fluctuations.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

Hi, as I am now getting older I start to get daft things as gifts, one I have is a 3 pin socket that plugs into the cigarette lighter, quite bulky but it works, wife has the car at work so can't give you a brand name but similar 2nd item http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productstoreId10001catalogId10151productId236607langId-1categoryId165452 or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mp75-Ring-Mini-Inverter-75w/dp/B000ORW8RC/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1340281639&sr=8-1 hope this helps

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

We run my wife's 15.3" Sony Vaio on an inverter (150Watts) when on a camp site without electricity. But the power consumed includes charging the computer's internal battery so if you go this route you need to look its 240v external power supply. If it dosn't tell you the wattage then, multiply the lowest current figure by 240v to give you the Wattage for an inverter. for example the label may say 110-240v 1.0A-0.5A . In this case you would need an inverter capable of supplying 240*0.5 =120 Watt. Hope this helps.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Thanks all,Think that the link that Nontek provided looks as it would be okay. many thanks to all.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Good, thanks for your feedback.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes