We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet Explorer is behaving strangely

stlucia2

Likes # 0

A couple of months ago I ditched Firefox because of problems it was causing on my PC (can't remember exactly what the problem was now!), and started using IE, which has always been installed, as my browser. My IE version is 8.0.6001.18702, and it's updated regularly, so far as I know, when I get the regular MS updates for my Windows XP.

Apart from it being generally slower than Firefox was, there are now three traits which I think may indicate a fault:-

1. It's not consistent in its action after I've clicked on a link within an article or thread -- sometimes, when I click the "back" button, it returns to where I previously was when; other times it returns to the top of the page instead, or to the previous thread I was looking at.

2. Often when I type something into a search box, I find that it's omitted the first character.

3. Over the past couple of days, when I boot up my PC and start IE, I get the message that the previous session closed down unexpectedly (previous shutdown was normal, so far as I know) and gives me the option to go to home screen or to resume where I left off.

My PC is an HP with AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4600+, with 3GB RAM, and 83GB free on my C:\ drive.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try a reset of IE - Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab - Reset Internet Explorer Settings - RESET - Apply - OK - Restart your Browser.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61. I've reset as you've suggested, and will see how it goes over the next few days.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks