We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 C drive (SSD) not recognised.

m800afc

Likes # 0

W7 C drive (SSD) not recognised.

I am unable to start my W7 computer. On examination the C drive is not recognised by either the BIOS or the boot manager. If I attempt to repair using original W7 disk, system restore does not work, because all the restore points are on the C disk. The other option in repair asks me to load drivers. I have no idea which drivers to load, but when I browse to look for drivers, the C drive is shown, and I can navigate around the drive. All the expected files are there, except the Windows folder. I have run bootrec /scanos and it reports that there are no installations of W7. How can I get the C drive,which is an SSD, to be recognised, so that I can do a re-install of W7?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Juat Cancel/OK the Load Drivers and go onto Repair.

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

Thanks for the suggestion, but the repair option does not work. The problem seems to be that it cannot repair an OS that does not exist, on a drive it cannot "see".

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Not sure why you tried to do a repair if the SSD cannot be seen by either BIOS or boot manager. The first thing I would try is another Sata cable and another power cable to the drive.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

By "boot manager" do you mean the temporary boot order screen that you can get, in my case tapping the ESC key? The reason I ask is since I changed from IDE to AHCI no drives are shown in my bios and only the optical drive and usb show in the boot order. Win 7 was loading fine until I went in to the bios to check something. Exited the bios and only a black screen showing. So forced restart and the same again. Another restart and got to the temporary boot order screen and lo and behold all the drives were showing. Selected the C: drive (SSD) and it loads the necessary AHCI drivers for both HDDs and now boots up OK every time. If I go back to the bios I have to go through the same routine again. Don't know if that will help at all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)