We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

school/recreation laptop

Lspec141995

Likes # 0

Hey there, i understand there are probably a million different variations of this question, but im looking for advice on a laptop to purchase. My budget will be around £700 or less.

This laptop will be used for school and later Uni, but i cant forsee needing long hours of bettery life, so that is not so much an issue. I want something good, reliable to get me through a 4 year course (5 year lifespan in reality). I am also a keen gamer, however i dont often play some of the more harcorde graphically intense games. I would like to be able to play the likes of World Of Warcraft and Diablo etc on maximum settings with reasonable fps. Other games such as simulators and what not i play occasionally also, so a dedicated graphics card is a must really.

I apologise for the speel of information, but i would like the most informed of advice, as this laptop will be part of my life for a good few years haha. I currently have 2 different laptops in mind. In order from first to second choice

Dell XPS 17 L702X: XPS L702x Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz) Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs) Hard Drive : 500GB Serial ATA II (7200 RPM) Hard Drive 8X DVD +/- RW DRIVE 17.3in HD+ WLED True-Life (1600x900) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera Graphics : 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card

Novatech Elite Optima: 17.3" HD Screen Intel i7 2640M Mobile CPU 8gb DDR3 1333Mhz Memory 500GB hybrid 2.5" Hard Drive 8x SATA DVD Writer NVIDIA GT630M 1GB Graphics

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The main reason i am looking at i7's is so that it is not too outdated in 5 years time. I would go for the cheaper i5 as i think the performance is suitable for my needs, but i worry it will be defunct sooner than 5 years.

Cheers, Liam. :)

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

I think the i5 will last just as long as the i7, really not a lot in it, except that of course i5 is cheaper.

I have recently bought an i5 laptop from Novatech @ £660 with Win7, and No Bloatware! It runs FSX Deluxe at all Ultra-high Settings faultlessly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone