We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

E-Mail problem. Someone else using mine?

Bingalau

Likes # 0

I closed down my computer whilst on a holiday in Spain recently. My daughter sent me a text message by phone, to say that I was sending spam e-mails to everybody. How can this happen if my computer is not even plugged in to the socket on the wall?

Since I returned other people have also told me they are getting mails from me which I haven't sent.

How do I stop/cure whatever is happening? Virgin Cable Media is not being very helpful. I am supposed to have their top security system in place.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Not sure. Maybe change e Mail password.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look here enter link description here

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If your computer was turned off then they didn't come from it.

Two possibilities - someone knows your password and is using your web-mail or someone has got hold of your address book.

First thing is to check your web-mail 'sent' box to see if they were sent from your web-mail and then change your password (that will stop it being used anymore).

Then get someone to look at one of the rouge emails and check the routing and that should give a clue where it came from.

If you used an e-mail client - Outlook Express, Pegasus or Thunderbird check the sent mail as well in that.

If someone has harvested your email addresses by you doing cc's instead of Bcc's there is not much you can do about it. It will die down in time.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

They must be being sent from (one of) your webmail accounts. First thing to do is login to your webmail server and look at your accounts. Change the password but first make sure that you have registered for it to be sent to an alternative email address and that it won't be sent or forwarded to whoever has broken into your email account.

Of course the other alternative explanation is that someone else has an infected pc or webmail and they have the same contacts in their address book and your email addy is being used as a spoof sender.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can (back)track the sender on TraceEmailIP by pasting in the Header info from the email.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...