We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Home Hub connected, but no internet access

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

This one has me beat! XP PC was on TalkTalk. Owner changed to BT. Owner set up router, but setup CD could not complete the setup. Just plugging the ethernet cable in, icon says connected, but clicking IE displays 'could not be connected'.

A laptop connects OK both wirelessly and by the same cable.

Tried a wireless dongle - says connected, but IE page won't open.

Have brought the PC home where it connects to the internet with no problems!

any suggestions gratefully received!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmm. back to square one as the new router is just the same. Owner spent an hour with India with no success.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have seen your update, but afraid I cannot offer any other suggestions. Very strange.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If the laptop connects ok then it was unlikely to be the router. The odd thing about this is that connects to your router ok. Checked all internet connection settings? Tried with firewall off? Flushed dns? What does ipconfig show? Can you ping the router ok?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell. Yes, it's the fact that it connects to my router OK, and to a Netgear router at his place that's curious. It's been suggested I try a System Restore from Safe Mode and with the AV turned off. Going there later this morning to try.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It might be the TCP/IP stack corrupted on the PC.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave. I have run all those cmd actions with no effect.

Couldn't run System Restore in Safe Mode, so some serious corruption there, I guess. He's reasonably happy for it to be connecting OK through the old Netgear router, so think I shall have to give up (something I hate to do!).

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......