We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I've lost sound in web pages

LB1

Likes # 0

The sound when running anything in a web page e.g. bbc iplayer, you tube, itv payer etc has suddenly been lost. I have no problems running things like windows media or spotify. I haven't downloaded any new software recently so the only updaytes have come from windows or kapersky. The problem occurs in both internet explorer and google chrome (the two browsers on my PC). My system runs Windows 7 home 64 bit. I use IE9 and have checked that the multimedia box in internet options for play sounds in webpages is ticked. My internet security is Kaspersky 2012. I haven't tried a restore yet in case there is a simple setting change that I can make.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try this - Go to Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab - RESET Internet Explorer to the Default settings.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Speakers turned on? Last Microsoft updates muted my speakers!

Like this post
LB1

Likes # 0

Thank you.

I tried restiing IE to default settings but that has not worked.

As I can hear music played through spotify and Windows Media Player etc I assume that the speakers are OK. However, I have also opened the speaker console and run a speaker test. Not sure if it is relevant but I have Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio running my speakers but I also have Realtek High Definition Audio and AMD High Definition Audio Device installed. All are showing as working OK in Device Manager but I have now also updated the drivers but this has not made any difference.

Since posting I have run an anti virus scan, a scan using Malwarebytes, and scans using McAfee Rootkit Finder which have also come up with no threats. I have also run CCleaner.

None of this has altered the sound problem I have trying to play videos or radio in webpages.

I am now trying Microsoft to see if I can get any help. I can't help thinking it is an update that has caused the problem.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You have 3 audio devices running.Does one of those not have to be the default.

This is only a guess in my part as the sound on my computer was not working properly and I had a couple of audio devices as well and changed the other one to default and got my sound back.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I should have added one of the reasons I changed to Manual windows updates was the amount of time I was left with no audio after one of there updates.

That was using XP though.The remedy then was to go to the sound driver and roll back the driver for it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The Sound Blaster will almost certainly be set as a default. You can check by right clicking on the volume symbol in the system tray and choosing playback devices.

I have Kaspersky 2012, a Sound Blaster card, Realtek and AMD HDMI but don't have your problem.

It is odd that this problem is with Chrome too. It makes me wonder if you have flash problem. Do you have the latest version?

Try system restore to a date before it stopped.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...