We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Send laptop screen to TV via USB?

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

A friend has just bought a new LED TV, which has a USB port. He's asked me whether it's possible for him to duplicate his laptop (Windows 7) screen on the TV.

In order to do this, I presume he has to tell his computer to send the video output to a USB port instead of to the VGA port. Can this be done?

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1720. Its video card is an Nvidea Geforce 8400M GS.

Thanks for any advice.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I think you will find that you almost certainly cannot use the USB port to somehow wirelessly send the video/audio from laptop to TV.

The USB is mainly used for music/pictures... possible software update.His manual should reveal all.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Make and Model of TV might be helpful.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I agree with Chronus, but am wondering what connections the TV has.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'a new LED TV, which has a USB port'

But does it have VGA or HDMI, which is the normal way to view a computer output on a TV.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

On my TV (LG) the USB port is only for putting on firmware updates.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I can't see any way this is possible. But, as others have said - why USB when there's a myriad of other connection types that are specifically designed to get video from a PC/laptop to an external screen?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Many thanks for those replies.

The TV is a Toshiba RL933 40-inch.

Apparently the reason he wants to use USB for the pictures is because his VGA port packed up some time ago. It got bashed and now doesn't work! The computer doesn't have an HDMI port.

But from what you say it sounds as though he's out of luck with USB.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Simple solution would be to upgrade his GPU to one that has the necessary connections.This can be done quite cheaply and most come with HDMI.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Multiple connections for enhanced entertainment - The USB port allows users to watch videos and pictures on the TV screen using a USB stick or an external HDD. They can also listen to music via its stereo speakers with Dolby® Digital Plus. The integrated USB Video Recording* function means the user can access an external HDD to record favourite TV shows while the three HDMI ports easily connect devices, such as game consoles or Blu-ray™ players, to the RL933 to provide enjoyment of video games and movies in high picture quality on the big screen.

From a Review!

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks again, Chronus and Nontek (although you sound pretty 'tech' to me!)

Chronus, I think he's trying to get a slideshow ready for a big family party at the weekend - no time for any upgrades!

Nontek - to my uneducated brain it seems that, if you can watch videos and pictures on the TV from a USB stick, wouldn't that suggest that you should also be able to watch them from your computer's hard drive via USB? Or am I missing something?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data