We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No internet connection for two PC'S

Hetti

Likes # 0

I decided to give my brother my old XP computer as it still runs fast while his old Vista one is very slow. The Visa computer was connecting to the internet when he unplugged it to try the XP one,

But the one I gave him could not connect to the internet (but he could see the network and it said it was available) he got.... cannot connect to the internet see the person who manages the network etc He then tried the Vista machine (his original one)and that could not connect either the same problem. He phoned Talk Talk to see if there was any problems with the service, the chap said there were no problems with the connection and he should try to hard wire the PC but as the Router is downstairs and the PC is upstairs this will not be possible (or will it?) my brother is a pensioner and does not understand technology (i'm a little bit better)at all so I thought I would ask here if anyone had any thoughts on this and any thing he/or me could try?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I am assuming that you are talking about wireless connections for both PC's. I am not quite sure why the vista one was unplugged in order to try the XP PC, unless there was only one available power socket.

I assume also that the XP PC has a wireless card? If it does you could try to delete all reference to the wireless connection and start all over again.

It would be a good idea to connect both PC's by ethernet first to establish a connection - is it possible to take the PC's to the router to do this?

I am assuming that the XP PC was working wirelessly before - if not you could make sure that the wireless adapter is up to date by going into Device Manager.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn The Vista was already up and working Ok (But very slow)yes there is only one socket available.

You say... I assume also that the XP PC has a wireless card? If it does you could try to delete all reference to the wireless connection and start all over again. The XP PC was working fine (connecting to the internet at my house) How do I delete all reference to the wireless connection? is is disable/enable the connection? I don't know if it will be possible to take the PC to the router I will look at it later today.

I did not look at device manager since I took PC to my brothers house, will do that later today also. Sorry I'm such novice but I'm not very clever with technical things (don't mind trying though)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Go to "Wireless Network Connection" (Control Panel>Network Connections>Right click on Wireless Network Connection and choose "View available wireless networks")

On the left go to "Change advanced settings." Click on the tab Wireless Networks. Then there should be a "Preferred Networks" list. You can add, remove, and edit the entries in this list.

You could also try this:-

Go to Control Panel > Network Connections

Right click on the Wireless Network Connection > Properties

At the General tab, scroll down and double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

At the General tab, thick on Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn You say "Go to "Wireless Network Connection" (Control Panel>Network Connections>Right click on Wireless Network Connection and choose "View available wireless networks")

On the left go to "Change advanced settings." Click on the tab Wireless Networks. Then there should be a "Preferred Networks" list. You can add, remove, and edit the entries in this list. So what would I do here do I remove then add the correct network? if so is this an easy thing to do?

I get the second suggestion! Thanks for taking the time to try to help me.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You should remove the identified network (your brother's)then let the PC find it again and then click on that network and on to connect.

Glad to help -hope we can sort it out quickly.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Okay difarn Have been unable to get to brothers today it will be tomorrow now, just a thought would a reset of the router be of any help do you think, or would this cause me more problems?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Resetting the router shouldn't cause any problems - I would do this after removing your brother's network from the list.

It would still be a good idea if you could manage to get both of the PC's first connected by ethernet cable.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn

Did as you said and all seems fine now, that was yesterday and still working fine today. So thanks again

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi Hetti,

Glad to help. Fingers crossed all will be fine - well done.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...