We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista laptop recently stopped connecting to the Net without an ethernet cable

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

As it say's on the top... My wife's Vista laptop, recently stopped connecting to the Internet without an ethernet cable.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Right, I've been to Belkin router setup utility and my wireless channel is set to auto. At present it's set at 10, but it changes at various intervals. It can be anything at any given time. As this setting chooses the best reception automatically.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

It's looking increasing like perhaps my next move should be a System Restore to before she couldn't connect without the cable. At least for her and me this would be an easy option.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Graphicool1

The consensus of opinion around various forums is it is best to put it on manual, and carefully test 1, 6, and 11 for the best results -- auto is all too often wrong.

Also you could install this and have a look at what channels your neighbours are on then use another channel. inSSIDer.">http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQFjAA&url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.metageek.net%252Fproducts%252Finssider%252F&ei=__3hT_f7Acut8QOlzNnWDg&usg=AFQjCNGFqYFjIImVp8ZAVgD5ECVjr_yxug">inSSIDer.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

By the way, although the link works I have no idea why it is like that mess.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus

Actually someone else suggested 'inSSDer', which I downloaded to my PC. When I ran it, it said it couldn't find any Networks in my local vicinity. Yet when I did the same check without inSSder I found 6. I uninstalled inSSDer and every now and again since then, (which was yesterday) when I try to open various links and/or programmes on my PC they won't open and pop-up windows are stating...'Server Execution Failed'.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

A miracle has just taken place, I openened 'System' - 'System Protection'. Pulled out the ethernet cable and noticed that the two little monitors on the taskbar didn't have a red cross and were blinking at each other. I moused over them and low and behold they have connected to the Internet??????!!!!!!??????

Can you credit it?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

When I turned it on this morning it connected wirelessly straight away without the need for an ethernet cable first?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

The party's over, I've been monitoring the connection. Because, I don't don't know about you but I couldn't just leave it like that I just switched it off, waited a few minutes then switched it on again, it didn't connect to the Internet! The following is what it says in the event viewer...

EventData

HelperClassName L2Sec Helper Class EventDescription For complete information about this session see the Wireless Diagnostic Informational Event. Helper Class: Layer2 Security Initialize Status: Success Result of diagnosis: Problem found Root cause: Windows cannot connect to "Mystical1" The wireless network security key is not correct. Detailed root cause: Layer 2 security key exchange using user-supplied key did not generate unicast keys before timeout Repair option: View wireless network security settings for "Mystical1" You can then type the correct wireless network security key. Information for connection being diagnosed Interface GUID: {43ca002c-b867-4ca0-b2ad-12702f7c4816} Interface name: Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter Interface type: Native WiFi Profile: Mystical1 SSID: Mystical1 SSID length: 9 Connection mode: Infra Security enabled: Yes Connection ID: 26 Security settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No Profile matches network requirements: Yes Pre-Association and association status: Success Security and Authentication: Configured security type: Robust Secure Network (RSN / WPA2) for independent networks Configured Encryption type: CCMP (AES) Security connect status: Fail 0x00048005 Number of security packets received: 0 Number of security packets sent: 0 802.1X protocol: No Key exchange initiated: Yes Unicast keys received: No Multicast keys received: No
EventVerbosity 0

Make of it what you will.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Do you think Microsoft people live in the real world at all, what on earth is that crap all about? Except it does mention the security key being correct. I am assuming you have named your network Mystical1? as for the rest, pass.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room