We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista laptop recently stopped connecting to the Net without an ethernet cable

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

As it say's on the top... My wife's Vista laptop, recently stopped connecting to the Internet without an ethernet cable.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

PS - I just transfered this from the Vista Forum.

Further to the statement this was just the last event in a series of events. First it got slower and slower, then when you were on any website it would keep jumping back to the sites homepage. My wife said she cleaned it regularily with CCleaner. I checked it out, ran all the usual tests, it's clean and clear.

Regarding the Internet connection problem, it was fine, then it wouldn't connect. Then it was asking for the password, when it was given it said it wasn't correct and/or it didn't recognise it. So I tried with the ethernet cable and it connected. Then I unplugged the cable and it stayed connected. Until I turned the laptop off and on again, now though it won't connnect at all without the cable.

Any theories guys. My thought is that perhaps the laptops receiver has packed up and needs replacing?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Reinstall wireless card drivers

Try changing to a different channel in the router.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\

Sorry I'm so long getting back, been working.

"Reinstall wireless card drivers"

Been there, done that, still no go.

"Try changing to a different channel in the router."

I have to tell you, although changing channels sounds easy. I wouldn't know where to begin. Also, apart from the laptop, my desktop PC uses the router. Would this channel change effect my PC too?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Would this channel change effect my PC too No.

You will need to go into your routers settings page to change the wireless channel. This will point you in the right direction, Change channel. But if you post your router make/model I am sure someone will guide you through the process.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus

Belkin - Model No. F5D7632-4

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

In IE address bar type 192.168.2.1 you will be asked for your password which hopefully you have changed from the default to one of your own. If not the default login should be on the bottom of the router.

If you click on the Channel and SSID section under Wireless on the left hand side you will be able to change the channel. Click save or OK.Wireless routers using the 2.4Ghz band can broadcast on channels 1-11 so take your pick.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Page 29 to enter router then page 37 to change the channel manual here

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Chronus - my fingers too slow again!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

LOL. Your link to the manual is better though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes