We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"This copy of Windows is not activated"

W C Boggs

Likes # 0

On starting up my PC just now, I got a message to say that the hardware had changed significantly since I first registered Windows and that I have to re-activate it within 3 days.

I'm running Windows XP and the PC is about 6 years old. I activated Windows using the supplied key when I bought the PC (brand new).

There is currently an icon in my system tray, and when I hover the mouse over it it says "This copy of Windows is not activated". The PC seems to be working ok though.

I followed the links that appeared when I clicked the icon, and it took me to Microsoft's page where it told me XP is no longer available and offered to sell me Windows 7!

Is my PC going to stop working in 3 days if I don't "activate" or buy Windows 7? It's got me very worried!

Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you change 4 major pies of equipment MS consider it to be a new PC

Motherboard, Hard drive, CPU, memory.

HAve you done this?

Just go through the activation procedure by phone

How to activate Windows XP by phone To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

TAlk to the person at the other end thaey are very helpful.

Like this post
W C Boggs

Likes # 0

I added more RAM, upgraded the power supply and changed the CPU fan for a cooler version. But that was all at least 4 or 5 years ago, and the rest of the PC is as it was when bought. Haven't changed anything recently though.

Thanks for the guidance, I will give it a go. Still curious as to why it has suddenly done it though. A cynic might think it's to get me to buy Windows 7.....

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Phone up, tell them that.

shouldn't be a problem.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try right clicking my computer and clicking on properties.It should tell you if windows is activated or not,Or to change product key.

If it says not Activated change the product key and type in the keycode that you have on the computer.

That's how it works on W/7 so not to sure about XP.

If you have to phone them there should be a free number that you can use.

Like this post
W C Boggs

Likes # 0

Phone option didn't work - the part of the screen that should have showed me the code was blank (plus I couldn't get through to anyone anyway.....)

But I used the internet option, and it told me a few seconds later that Windows had been activated (just turned my PC on again and all seems ok).

Thank you very much everyone for your advice, it's much appreciated.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Strange as this has just happened to a neighbour, but in her case the phone option worked OK. No real change to the pc - wondering if an update has triggered this for some reason?

Like this post
o0o_mafia_o0o

Likes # 0

Dear,

You can download and try this activation may work with you properly.

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m68hvv6ve52l2lt

or

http://dvb-upload.com/pliki/2012-06-19/Activation%20windows%207.zip

Regards'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

Lenovo has created its own 'Google Glass'