We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trying to run two graphics cards in Win 7 !

Paul33

Likes # 0

I want to run my desktop PC off an NVIDIA graphics card that I have installed but - on the limited occasions I need to - run a hdmi PC to TV link from an AMD card that I also have installed and which has the necessary hdmi connection and on-board audio.

How do I do that under Win 7 ?

I have an AMD control centre program that shows the two "monitors" and correctly identifies the 42" Plasma as one of them but all I seem able to do is duplicate AMD settings across both screens which leaves me with massively too high resolution for my PC. I can't seem to appy different settings to each screen, let alone run one screen from AMD and one from NVIDIA.

Both cards are showing as fine under Device Manager but I can't reach my NVIDIA card via the NVIDIA software as it says I'm not connected to it !

Any ideas ?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Has this been fixed?

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

No !

Still don't know how to achieve different resolution ouputs.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that a recap of what you want to achieve may be helpful. I think that you want to view exactly the same screen on a desktop on a plasma TV but set a different resolution for each screen. Is that correct?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You could set up extended desktop for when the Plasma TV is connected and set that as the primary display. YouTube should then display fine on the TV without altering the monitor resolution.

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

When I tried that, I simply lost everything from my PC monitor except a blank windows background ..... I had to then get back by using the distant TV to change settings !!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Hadn't realised that the TV was some distance away. Can you see the TV screen from the desktop?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do you have AMD Catalyst Control Centre installed?

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

The TV is across the loinge so I can see it and I'm trying to do all this via the AMD VISION Engine Control Centre and the DISPLAY screen in the Windows Control Panel.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If that doesn't work then I will leave it to others to assist.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Is this guide with screenshots any help (or I may have lost the plot)?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad