We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trying to run two graphics cards in Win 7 !

Paul33

Likes # 0

I want to run my desktop PC off an NVIDIA graphics card that I have installed but - on the limited occasions I need to - run a hdmi PC to TV link from an AMD card that I also have installed and which has the necessary hdmi connection and on-board audio.

How do I do that under Win 7 ?

I have an AMD control centre program that shows the two "monitors" and correctly identifies the 42" Plasma as one of them but all I seem able to do is duplicate AMD settings across both screens which leaves me with massively too high resolution for my PC. I can't seem to appy different settings to each screen, let alone run one screen from AMD and one from NVIDIA.

Both cards are showing as fine under Device Manager but I can't reach my NVIDIA card via the NVIDIA software as it says I'm not connected to it !

Any ideas ?

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

But I'm confused here, the OP looks like installed a monitor to the onboard graphic (geforce 7025) while connected a TV to an AMD 4350 card , what I know is that when an extra card installed on the PCI-e slot then the onboard graphic will be disabled.

What Nvidia card does he mean? There are only 2 PCI slots left.

I'd say the proper way is getting an adapter to connect his VGA monitor( I guess he can't connect his monitor to this card because it has DVI & his monitor is a VGA) to this AMD card instead.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I think then that the answer to your problem is that as you have installed the HD 4350 then this has caused the on-board graphics to be disabled, there might well be a setting in the bios to stop this happening but I do not think this is possible on your motherboard but I am still trying to track down the manual.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I maybe misunderstanding this but I think that the OP wants to use the Nvidia graphics card (which may or may not be built in) so that the problem with the resolutions can be solved. I don't think that this will change with a different graphics card. It should be easier to set separate resolutions if an extended desktop is used (two different displays)than a cloned display (repeat of the desktop).

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

Sorry for the confusion caused and thanks for all your considerations !

I don't really care what is connected to what to be honest - all I want to be able to do is occasionaly watch online streams via a HDMI link to my Plasma TV without screwing up my PC.

I had this all working fine under XP but since upgrading to Win 7 last week, I haven't been able to work it out.

I can certainly output via the HDMI cable with sound but initially it only gave me a plain Windows background. I was then told I needed to select "duplicate" (or similar) in the AMD software which did the trick but left me with a ridiculous hi-res PC monitor that eventually became unresponsive.

I thought the answer was to make use of both graphics/video "cards" on the PV but maybe thats not the way to go. I only wish I knew how it worked under XP because it was perfect and I've changed no hardware since !

CPU Details

Property Value PAUL-PC Summary Number of Physical Processors 1 Number of Cores per Processor 4 Number of Logical Processors 4 CPU #1 AMD Phenom X4 9550 CPU Name AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor CPU Code Name Agena Vendor AuthenticAMD Number of Bits 64 Instruction Set MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, x86-64, NX, VMX, SVM Platform Name Socket AM2+ (940) Revision DR-B3 Technology 65 nm Original Clock 2200 MHz Original System Clock 200 MHz Original Multiplier 11.0 CPU Clock 2200 MHz System Clock 200.0 MHz HT Link 1000.0 MHz Number of Cores 4 Core #1 Speed 1100.0 MHz Multiplier 5.5 Core #2 Speed 1100.0 MHz Multiplier 5.5 Core #3 Speed 1100.0 MHz Multiplier 5.5 Core #4 Speed 1100.0 MHz Multiplier 5.5 Turbo CORE Not Supported Virtual Technology Disabled SLAT Supported Hyper Threading Not Supported Cache L1 Data Cache 4 x 64 KBytes L1 Instructions Cache 4 x 64 KBytes L2 Cache 4 x 512 KBytes L3 Cache 2048 KBytes

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

After installing Windows 7 did you then install any missing drivers? because it is quite possibly a chipset driver issue. Your motherboard is listed here Abit but I seem to be unable to get to the driver download page.

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

I downloaded latest Win 7 drivers from both AMD and NVIDIA

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I wouldn't use the AMD software. See MS Support. Use extended desktop and set the resolution for each.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It should be possible to set individual resolutions under mirrored.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I mentioned chipset drivers not Nvidia or AMD.

Woolwell. I don't think that is what he want to do.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

" all I want to be able to do is occasionaly watch online streams via a HDMI link to my Plasma TV without screwing up my PC." ie connect an external monitor and get the resolution right. I don't think that changing graphics will solve that if it worked with XP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...