We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

RAM gone missing in BIOS - please help!

paultek

Likes # 0

Hi Folks,

I'm running win xp SP3 on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe and Intel 6600 conroe dual core.

My BIOS and OS has stopped seeing 2gb of my 4gb of RAM possibly after the install of a new graphics card. I can understand why the OS might see less available (the graphics card is slightly more powerful), but I cannot see why the BIOS now sees only 2gb.

On the install of the new graphics card all the correct drivers were installed and the registry cleaned and until recently, the BIOS has seen 4gb of RAM every boot.

I've run the following trouble shooting checks.

RAM SLOT 1 - 2gb RAM stick A /// RAM SLOT 2 - Empty

= 2gb RAM recognised by BIOS

RAM SLOT 1 - 2gb RAM stick B /// RAM SLOT 2 - Empty

Conclusion: Both 2gb RAM sticks are working ok.

However,

RAM SLOT 1 - 2gb RAM stick A /// RAM SLOT 2 - 2gb RAM stick B

RAM SLOT 1 - 2gb RAM stick A or B /// RAM SLOT 2 - 1gb RAM stick

= 3gb RAM recognised by BIOS

Conclusion = Both RAM slots are working.

I'm stumped. Until recently both 2gb sticks were recognised in the BIOS.

Can anyone help?? I'm right in the middle of an important project..

Many thanks,

P.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Have you tried removing the Graphics card and putting the old one back in?, and it may be an incompatability problem.

Is the new card controlling some of the motherboard (Main) memory, making it unavailable for other useages?

Have you checked in the BIOS to see how the memory for the graphics card is set up, as it may not be using it's built in memory

From BIOS reset to the defaults and this should find the memory.

Terry

Like this post
paultek

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply, Terry

Have you tried removing the Graphics card and putting the old one back in?, and it may be an incompatability problem.

unfortunately I can't - the old one fried

Is the new card controlling some of the motherboard (Main) memory, making it unavailable for other useages?

Have you checked in the BIOS to see how the memory for the graphics card is set up, as it may not be using it's built in memory

I've looked in the BIOS and as far as I'm aware, the BIOS doesn't seem to have a facility for doing this. How would this explain the results of the second troubleshooting check, though?

From BIOS reset to the defaults and this should find the memory.

Will give this a go, thanks again

Like this post
paultek

Likes # 0

Would also like to add that, the graphics card is compatible with my motherboard and the correct drivers have been installed.

Like this post
paultek

Likes # 0

Reset defaults and no joy, unfortunately.

On further investigation, BIOS is saying that 2gb of RAM is available and 2gb is appropriated. Will investigate further.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made