We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Urban Myth about slow computers?

Tycho
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just seen this on another forum:

*My cousin has been a top-man in Seattle...with Microsoft for some years.. He 'tipped' me years ago...to turn off auto updates... This is especially crucial when Microsoft introduce a new operating system...as they deliberately slow your old one to persuade you to upgrade.. I have never allowed an auto update...never done any updates...and never had any slowing or problems with any of my machines...unlike others who do the updates...*

Does anyone know if there is any truth in this?

Nick

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I doubt it, I have always used Auto Update, not had any problems due to this in well over ten years.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Automatic updates will slow your computer down at times when it starts looking for updates.

I have automatic updates switched off.Not only Microsoft but all your security programs are the same.

If anything it is an accumulation of all Microsoft Updates that you have on your computer that will probably slow it down.

Changed from XP to W/7 when it came out and there was a notable difference in the speed between them,But as you keep adding the updates it gets that bit slower again.

They have recently pushed a lot of net Framework updates on us that used to be for XP so you never know his theory may be correct as W/8 is due out shortly.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Personally, I think it's an urban myth. In my experience, PCs just get slower over time as they accumulate more crap, the registry gets more humongous and so on. (Although I guess that some of that 'more crap' may be MS updates...) A fresh install - in my case, anyway - will always restore my PC to its former speed. Virtually all my machines are still on XP (SP2, in fact) and I wouldn't upgrade any of them because they're running slowly.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

A hell of a lot of updates are not needed in most PC users computers but unfortunately most of accept what updates are flung at us without question. I to do not have auto updates turned on and usually wait until someone here mentions that there are a load of them out there. I then take a look and decide what or if I need them.

Why on earth should I consider Bing desktop a worthy and useful update.

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

Interesting responses, thank you.

My experience is that I was given and old PC with XP newly installed. It was running desperately slowly (sometimes it could not keep up with my typing!) so I installed another 2GB of memory. That improved things a bit so in the end I bought another copy of XP from Amazon (It was a cut price one. Ex OEM) I installed it clean and let it take all the upgrades that there were. The speed was sort of OK but nothing special and it took ages to start up.

Having read the post that I quoted I thought that it might have been all the upgrades that had been installed and that the post could conceivably be correct.

Nick

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have my updates set to Notify then I can choose which I want to download. Then I can further choose which to install and which to ignore via Custom install and tick/UNtick the boxes.

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Urban Myth

I have a fully update XP SP3 that runs as fast now as when I bought the machine in March 2005 with XP sp1 on it.

Keep it clear of the dross and it will be OK

I have posted many times on this forum of a few things to do to keep your machine running smoothly.

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

Thanks to all for the opinions and advice.

I think that I will change to confirm updates and just select those that I need.

All the best.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room