We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop screen wire has broken off, yet screen works 100%?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

One laptop wire has broken (black wire from the screen to motherboard),yet the display is still showing, so everyone still wants to use it. Should I simply cut the bare gold wire from its breaking point (whilst off), and hide it for now inside the casing until I can get someone to rewire properly (no tools here and will need more wire), or not them use it at all? I will assume the screen uses more than one black wire for a stronger connection/signal? I have been told when it broke it did not work, but was not having any issues when I powered it myself. Thanks for any tips, if anyone knows what would be best to do

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Good. Sell for 'spares and repair' (check ebay forums for scammers on this subject).

Or just keep as an emergency machine.

You should see the state of my 10 yr old laptop, which is 3rd in line as emergency. Runs XP and Linux (just). But it gets on-line and can play videos.

On/Off/Volume/Brightness controls don't work. That top panel is removed. It also routes the BIOS battery. Day/Date needed every boot.

4 keyboard keys don't work and the touchpad is wrecked. Screen is permanently dim due to backlight ageing as well.

With 128MB RAM and a 5GB HDD it's no use even for bits. I'll chuck it soon honest.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

haha, at least it works. I have a 10 year old Time branded xp desktop, its monitor and keyboard gave up a few yrs ago. Its eventually replaced psu didnt last and only stays on if its not connected to the system-although that could be a hint that the pc is at fault and some sort of safety action. A good system at the time, but then perhaps I would get a shock if I managed to get it running once again-I would probably not want to go back to any 4:3 monitor. The goods are piling up, so Ill have to start using ebay to sell one day too :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad