We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop screen wire has broken off, yet screen works 100%?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

One laptop wire has broken (black wire from the screen to motherboard),yet the display is still showing, so everyone still wants to use it. Should I simply cut the bare gold wire from its breaking point (whilst off), and hide it for now inside the casing until I can get someone to rewire properly (no tools here and will need more wire), or not them use it at all? I will assume the screen uses more than one black wire for a stronger connection/signal? I have been told when it broke it did not work, but was not having any issues when I powered it myself. Thanks for any tips, if anyone knows what would be best to do

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Might be a Wifi aerial wire.

Just wrap in a bit of insulating tape (or Sellotape) so it doesn't short to anything and hide till it can be fixed then.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

thanks-I never thought of the possibility of wifi. It sounds like luck that the display is still working, but the laptop was on its way out anyway, a fairly poor build. I'll keep check on the display to see how it operates later on.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Is there a built-in webcam? Could be that as well.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Theres no webcam, just a basic screen. Lifting it slightly shows this black broken wire, under the right hinge. Does anyone know if there is normally only one wire connecting a laptops screen to its motherboard? If not, then perhaps there is a similar on the opposite side (left hinge)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

There is normally a quite thick one which carries the video. There may also be one or two antenna cables, as mentioned before.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

A Wire has a single conductor.

A cable consists of multiple wires (or conductors), with an outer sheath.

Google your model and screen replacement

It should be clear from one of the guides.

Screen video cables have lots of connections.

Wifi aerial has one. But you may have two of them.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I have just tried the laptop out, and its working-connecting to the internet with no issues, but there is a difference. The laptops brightness option panel has changed, and is available only from the mobility options. I believe the previous brightness panel was available through personalization, but this option in personalization has disappeared. I may be wrong, but I know for definite that the vista brightness panel I used before does not look the same as it did. In the control panels mobility options, the full brightness is good and likely matches what windows allows as default, but I dont think its as bright as I was able to turn it to before. The intel gfx display options elsewhere for the board have not been removed from the system and are still available through the control panel. Could it be a co-incidence?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You could spend hours and days fixing your laptop. (software wise). The broken wire may be a co-incidence.

If the screen and Wifi work, and the family are using it, forget it.

If it is too dim, have you had a look at Vista Power options and also laptop Function keys controlling brightness?

Like this post  
theDarkness

Likes # 0

ah, that was it-the brightness setting via the power option. The full brightness setting via mobility is only half of what the brightness setting is via the power option, and I can still turn it up to max as before. So ignoring as to why windows has more than one place for brightness settings (!), it looks like its a co-incidence after all. The system will be replaced soon enough,the casing binned, keeping the hdd and dvd drive. Im less sure about the screen and board-if the cables are regarded as only part of the board, perhaps I could sell the other for small change. thanks :)

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

ps sellotape or similar didnt work for such a small split cable, so I ended up just cutting the bare gold wire that was showing whilst the machine was off and simply fitting it within the screen casing. That will do for now, no issues thankfully

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features