We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Crashing and says Bios requires Update

Will

Likes # 0

Morning all, I have been having internet crashes and the windows fault reporting system tells me it is the bios that needs updating. I have run Belarc and it has given me the information below. Can someone tell me the easiest/best way to find the BIOS update and install it please. Thanks guys and girls. MB MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7519 1.0 Bus Clock: 200 megahertz BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V1.1 05/28/2008 CPU 3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 64 kilobyte primary memory cache 2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache 3 Gigs Ram Runnng windows XP

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I have been having internet crashes and the windows fault reporting system tells me it is the bios that needs updating.

What has BIOS to do with Internet???

BIOS updates are usually a last resort as a failure to update correctly will render the machine as scrap.

I would be more inclined to update ethernet adaptor drivers or wifi drivers (depending on how you connect) or reset the router before doing anything else.

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

Thanks for your impute Fruitbat. The crash occurs when online, my son says as you open more windows then eventually it crashes and I have experienced that too. When the computer reboots the program asks if I want to report the proble and having done that several times then the link from MS that comes up is with reguards to BIOS update. I usually build my own computers but I am out of practice to be honest. The latest update I did was replacing the CPU. The link suggests this is where the problem may lie..... can you offer anything further?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have had the same sort of problem lately and it says maybe a bios update or I think Video or Grapics update required.Not quite sure about the 2nd one but the first one was Bios and MSI were not forthcoming about giving Bios updates and always directed me to a pay for program.So far I have not managed to get an update for mine so maybe there is not one.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ignore my comments on MSI bit.

Mine is Pheonix Technologies.Foxconn so not the same as yours.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

i think maybe you should re-read the report , it most probably suggest that the problem could possibly could be fixed by a BIOS update ?, but the chances of that are probably millions to one

Cheers HC

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I would for a start make a copy of the BIOS (from RUN type in REGEDIT , goto FILE and Select EXPORT. store that on a memory stick or similar, and exit Regedit.

This is your backup in case things go wrong.

It is my guess that you are using more processor power than you machine is capable of running- Is the CPU running at more than 20% in normal use- that is well above what you should be using.

Dependant on your setup, you should have an option in the BIOS to set Optimum settings, try this first.

I have never heard of a bios update required for running the internet,have you tried running a different browser or updating your current one.

Terry

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

my son says as you open more windows then eventually it crashes

Of course it will, any machine can be forced to its limits.

How much memory and how much space left on the hard drive for the swap file?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'