We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is firefox now finished as the best browser?

manrow

Likes # 0

I ask because I have been using firefox as the preferred browser since it first appeared some years ago.

Unfortunately all 4 of my computers were set to auto update and now 3 of them are unusable as firefox 'hangs' after the most recent update. The fourth was saved as I managed to turn off update before disaster happened.

I spent much time yesterday to put things right but so far have failed. All the advice on the firefox site is that downloading an earlier version is not the answer; why not?

I am seriously considering Chrome instead.

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

Spoke too soon! Firefox 13 is crashing after the latest flash update with the message "container plugin has stopped working in firefox" after closing firefox. Seems a common problem. I've gone back to Firefox 12 and it seems ok now. There's a newer Firefox 13.01 updatebut the problem is still there on some machines apparently.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

When I got fed up with the lack of responsiveness from IE, I tried Opera.

I really liked Opera, but found that far too many sites did not work well with Opera. Opera's stance on this was (and maybe still is) that their offering was highly compliant and that the problem lay with the websites rather than Opera. But that didn't really help me.

So I tried Chrome and have stuck with it ever since. It is extremely fast (as is Opera). The only real downside is that the Bookmarks (aka Favourites) handling isn't the best.

Opera has a vast multitude of user settings that you can set. Chrome has very very few.

On the odd occasion that Chrome has a compatibility issue with a site, I switch back to IE and oh what an absolute pain it is. Apart from being painfully slow, it constantly switches focus back to itself time and time again and so interferes with my flow. That was something that always really bugged me about IE and Chrome (and Opera) were a real breath of fresh air.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I use Chrome most of the time as I have quite a few foriegn friends and I find the right click translate this page facility very useful, when at work which uses IE I forget sometimes and wonder where it has gone when right clicking!

Like this post
manrow

Likes # 0

Having taken your advice buteman, I opened Task Manager first, before opening firefox. The cpu operation jumped from under 10% to over 50% and stayed there until I closed firefox down.

Could others who are still using firefox successfully advise how much cpu rises when selecting firefox in this way please?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

I use Firefox, currently V.13.0.1 on Win7

I have just Opened FF after starting Task Manager - CPU usage for FF is fluctuating between 0% - 3%, I am quite happy with that.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - I also have Incredimail and Skype running (but not in use at the moment) in Task Manager, each showing 0% CPU.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If you aren't actively running anything else I would expect idle to be 99% and everything else to be 0% apart from Task Manager and your browser maybe occasionally rising to 1% (that's what I get with Chrome, even on a relatively old Pentium 4 single core 3GHz processor).

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I am still having trouble with lost pictures on Firefox, they appear as an empty square, I thought I could overcome this by updating to FF 14 but it's still there, all is OK in IE9 so can't be intrinsic in my system. Last time this happened about a year ago I cured it by opening a new profile.

I prefer FF to IE because of all the add ons etc but I've now got used to running both, I have two windows of each open with about eight tabs in each one, never seem to have crash or speed problems.(W7)

My downloading is lightning fast since TalkTalk put fibre optic in last month.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's looking as my children's laptop and my better half's laptop might be going to Chrome as they're having script problems and Flash player has to close. Both laptops with lowly CPUs. IE still default but hidden on both.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

rDave, I get these messages about having to close etc but I ignore them and instead of clicking OK, I click on red cross to delete message.

Flash and Adobe Air etc seem to have a lot of updates recently, be sure you are up to date with updates!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite