We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is firefox now finished as the best browser?

manrow

Likes # 0

I ask because I have been using firefox as the preferred browser since it first appeared some years ago.

Unfortunately all 4 of my computers were set to auto update and now 3 of them are unusable as firefox 'hangs' after the most recent update. The fourth was saved as I managed to turn off update before disaster happened.

I spent much time yesterday to put things right but so far have failed. All the advice on the firefox site is that downloading an earlier version is not the answer; why not?

I am seriously considering Chrome instead.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe use Revo uninstaller on setting 4 and remove it Completely then reinstall it to see if it makes any difference.

I can't remember having any problems with it and I have been using it for a few years.

Before you open it the next time Open Task Manager then see what is running along with Firefox.

If using MSE turn off the Anti-Spyware part and if using Spybot turn off the tea timer to see if it makes any difference.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If using revo uninstaller on settings 4 it will remove all of your add-ons.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Old versions at Filehippo

No need to uninstall usually. Just double click the new (old) setup file.

Should you wish to delve further and possibly use Revo, Mozbackup can backup various categories of settings of your current profiles first.

Easy to restore if anything goes wrong.

Personally, I have thought about changing broswer. FF is a tad sluggish for me (but not too bad).

But I really like all my add-ons and how it is setup. Not all add-ons are available or compatible on other browsers. I'll probably stay put for a while.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Interesting that you mention the problem after the latest update.

I had a similar 'hanging' problem, but for some unexplained reason its all returned back to normal.

Perhaps something to keep an eye on?.

would mention that I now use Firefox and Chrome as my preferred browser's, if anything Internet Explorer seems to have lost its edge. There as been a mention of Maxthon, which appears to be an IE clone, which I am now going to try and test!.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Since I installed Ver 12 I have had problems with FF Not Responding, particularly if I click on a link on a page or in an email etc.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Chrome is the future... ;-)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

For me, Firefox is the best!. IE, whichever versions I use, don't respond, Chrome locks my pc, and even my BB supplier Aol, has its bad days, today being one of them. By using my Aol connection, but not its own software, Firefox works every time.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

For me Opera has been the best for years and still is. Browser choice is a very subjective issue though. The best browser is the one that suits the way you work.

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

I always download the latest version of Firefox then install after uninstalling the older version and have never had any problems. It also has the advantage that if the newer version is buggy you still have a copy of the old one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September