We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Useful acticle on Motherboard Specs

frybluff

Likes # 0

Can anyone point me in the direction of an article which actually EXPLAINS motherboard specs, in terms for which I don't need an electronics degree?

In spec-ing a new PC, I'm presented with a list of a dozen motherboards, from which to choose. Yes, I can look up the specs on each, but without a reasonable knowledge of what those specs mean, and the significance of particular characteristics, it doesn't really help.

A point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To be honest you need to study this for yourself. Mobos come in all forms and usually you pick one for the CPU and affordability. This link may be useful, just to get started, but start with the CPU then motherboards that support it. Check sockets,ram slots and compatibility, physical size for supporting GPU cards etc. ATX or mATX and so on.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Take a look through these youtube videos a good visual introduction.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Post what you do not understand here, or just Google the particular mobo spec.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Like, I'm sure, many before me, my wish list, and my budget, don't necessarily meet in the middle. Have to make some compromises, and basically spec for what I really need, at the moment, rather than what I might like, in the future.

Having said that, it makes sense to slightly over-spec some things, to make it simpler to, eventually, upgrade without having to "rip it up and start again".(casing, primary cooling, power unit, mobo).

Provided my mobo supports it, I could add a second graphics card, later, in crossfire (or SLI). What I'm not sure of, is whether I can do that with ANY two Radeons (or nVidias), or do they have to be matched in some way, or are only certain cards suitable. Also, I presume, it's not as simple as plug in a second card, and "off you go"! Given the benchmarks for the individual cards, is it possible to "work out" their combined performance.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Sli or Crossfire, I believe that it is preferable to have the same cards but at least the same series. To be honest one decent GPU is far less troublesome than two GPU's. I have had both SLI and Crossfire in my time but each time I had driver issues and I seem to spend far to much time trying to solve problems. I now buy the best I can afford, my recent upgrade from a 6870 was to the GTX 670 and to SLI that particular card would be a totally waste of time as the benefits, if any, would not justify the cost.

I agree with your statement to "overspec" some components. A decent motherboard, either Sandy bridge or Ivy bridge is a must as well as a decent PSU. I assume you mean by "primary cooling" you are referring to CPU heat-sink. These days the stock cooler supplied with the CPU are pretty good, but should you want to over-clock then an upgrade is recommended.

This is a pretty good site for benchmark stats. Anandtech

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers