We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Uninstall software help

ronec

Likes # 0

Before I visit my daughter to try and uninstall some software, I thought I might ask a question first. Computer running Windows XP. When she turns on, a Windows installer opens, stating that 'An Update for Sonic is ready to be installed' She called me because she does not remember having Sonic installed, and when she clicks Cancel, the window opens again. Over the phone, I talked her through the Control Panel route to see whether she does actually have Sonic installed. It does appear that Sonic is showing in the 'Add, Remove Software' section. I told her to highlight the software and then click the option Delete/uninstall. A pop up then opens, stating that Windows cannot uninstall the program as it is in the process of updating. Wait for the update to finish before proceeding. I asked her to carry on with the update and then delete, as suggested. A window opens stating that the route to the software is missing, so the update cannot proceed. So, if I cannot delete or update the software, how can I get rid of it another way??

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Have a look for the program updater in Start>RUN>msconfig and then take the check out of the box. Then try to uninstall the software. You could also try uninstalling the program using Ccleaner, or Revo Uninstaller but it would still be best to stop it trying to update.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As well as Chronus' advice try going to safe mode and then uninstalling via add/ remove or Revo.

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, I will try those suggestions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)