We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using WiFi at home instead of BB dongle

NewestRoyWidd1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello,I currently use a dongle to get online,and I'm thinking of changing to the free wifi that we have in our housing complex.

I can connect to it via my Xbox and phone without problems,but would I need a router to connect my PC?I really have no idea what is needed and would appreciate any help and advice please.

I'm on XP Pro SP3,and have an ethernet card fitted,and the requisite ethernet cable.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

As an afterthought the driver on the disk may be out of date and need updating - if you manage to get on line you should go into Device Manager right-click on the device and click on update.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Yet another afterthought - did you actually get onto line? I'm wondering why you pulled the dongle out?

When you set it up did you let the wizard on the disk take you through it or did you just download the drivers and allow XP to find them?

If it hasn't in fact been working and you didn't follow the wizard on the disk, perhaps you should try it.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

difarn,many thanks.I am almost out of credit on my "3" network,I will get some more in the morning so we can continue working through my problems.

Please bear with me until then?I need to leave for work soon.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Will do.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Good morning difarn,I spoke to an IT manager last night,and he said the make of adapter I bought isn't the best,so I'm going to get a Belkin one this time,and put the other one down to experience.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions,they were greatly appreciated.I'll start a new thread if help is needed again.

NRW1

Like this post  
difarn

Likes # 0

I am surprised at that - I have one and it works perfectly. It may be because of the particular set up in your apartment block. Did you check with other residents to see if they had similar problems.

Hope your acquisition of a replacement is more fruitful.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

As a principle, any usb device should be uninstalled using the windows remove hardware icon bottom right. If you pull one that's transferring data, there's a real risk of the chip being fried.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...