We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I select boot disc?

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have recently bought a HP Compaq PC (F10) a few years old. It has Windows 7 O/S on C drive. I have put in a second drive with XP pro as the O/S. Both work fine but I cannot find out how to choose which to boot from I can only boot from the XP disc if I unplug the win 7 one. There has to be a setting somewhere on boot menu but I cannot find it.

Any help please

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks again, Have read both postings. By boot menu I was reffering to BIOS settings. So I run Setup from the CD presumably just once then I will be able to select either OS ?

Ray

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Here is a detailed page -

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

I think it tells all - if not come back to this page

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No.

You have W7 on C: XP on another drive

XP boot files need to be on C: and the win 7 boot menu needs to be altered to be able to see the XP boot files.

In a dual boot scenario (Win 7 with XP) you must have on FIRST disk ACTIVE partition: (C:)

Windows MBR

bootmgr with BCD having an additional entry for XP.

ntldr and ntdetect.com

boot.ini

When computer starts BIOS code is executed which does some tests and then loads MBR from FIRST disk. MBR code loads PBR from ACTIVE partition. Then PBR code loads bootmgr. bootmgr reads BCD data and displays boot menu.

When you select Windows 7 - control is transfered to winload.exe which loads Windows 7 proper. When you select XP boot menu entry control is transfered to ntldr (ntldr displays another boot menu based on entries in boot.ini)

For a complete display and editing of BCD contents you can use Visual BCD Editor.

For finding the exact ARC Path (multi(0)disk...partition() thing) of your XP installation and disks configuration you can use "ARC Paths" utility. You have to edit your old boot.ini replacing "old" ARC paths with the "new" ARC paths.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you can boot to Win 7 with the XP Hdd connected, try installing EasyBCD in Win 7. Not sure if free any more but this seems to be still free, link

Guides here. Should be able to give a boot manager screen at startup.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks to all for your help and suggestions. I used EasyBCD in the end as it was easiest for me,

Ray

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...