We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I select boot disc?

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have recently bought a HP Compaq PC (F10) a few years old. It has Windows 7 O/S on C drive. I have put in a second drive with XP pro as the O/S. Both work fine but I cannot find out how to choose which to boot from I can only boot from the XP disc if I unplug the win 7 one. There has to be a setting somewhere on boot menu but I cannot find it.

Any help please

Ray

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

It looks like you have a HDD drive with xp on it and just put it in the case and hoped for the best - is that correct?

If you want dual boot - it is diff procedure.

Do you have xp CD/DVD? Do you have win7 DVD? Do you have all the drivers?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi Woody, that is not the case. I have both CDs both genuine and verified I think I have installed the correct drivers but doing something wrong which is why I am here

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

To avoid confusion, should have been a full stop after verified.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Don't you get a quick display at boot.

Hit Esc, F2, F10, F12. These give boot options, BIOS, Diags etc.

It will be one of them to list the available drives, then cursor down to your 2nd drive and press Enter.

I have an old Compaq Presario PC (2004) upstairs. I'll see what it says exactly tomorrow if you are still stuck.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

You had a HDD fitted with xp on and a spare fitted but blank.Is that correct? You then loaded the other (win7) OS did it not ask where to load it?

Talk me through what you did please

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again,

PC came with one HDD with Win7 on it. I fitted another HDD with XP pro on it. It works fine with either OS but will always boot from the Win7 drive unless I physically unplug it.

In the BIOS

DEVICE CONFIGURATION Hard Disk SATA 0 160GB SATA 1 320GB CD-ROM IDE primary 0 HP DVD writer Default Values IDE/SATA

BOOT ORDER ATAPI CD-ROM USB device Hard Drive Integrated SATA Integrated IDE Broadcom ethernet controller.

I hope that clarifies things.

Thanks, Ray

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"It looks like you have a HDD drive with xp on it and just put it in the case? " You have said no and yes to that question.

Well here goes lets start from scratch.

Pc has two HDD fitted working with win7 - you can boot into win7 and can see two drives.

You have backed up all your data.

Put xp in dvd drive - switch/log off - switch on and it will boot into xp.

Follow on screen instructions.

If you do not understand any of the above - come back before you start.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again,

PC boots into Win7 and shows both drives. If I put the CD in and restart it begins to load Windows Setup, is this correct?

Ray

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

There has to be a setting somewhere on boot menu but I cannot find it.

Are you referring to – Control panel – Advanced system settings – start up?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

PC boots into Win7 and shows both drives. If I put the CD in and restart it begins to load Windows Setup, is this correct?

win xp Yes. - did you see my other post re start up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features