We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dead laptop

mermaid25

Likes # 0

I have a dell inspiron 6400. Switched off last night & it was installing the updates for XP & then shutting down. Have switched on today and nothing. Won't boot at all just a black screen & a flicker of the power light on & off . Am using mains as battery is not very good. Power source is ok . Probably a lost cause but thought I'd ask .

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

We have xp professional cd for the desktop & laptop is home oem.

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

We have xp professional cd for the desktop & laptop is home oem.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Afraid you can't do a repair on XP Home using a XP Pro disk.

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

Thanks for your help , I'll take to a place that has been rec locally

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Before you do give Dell a ring, make sure you know the model number etc and ask what the discs supplied do.Explain your problem and they may be of some help. Link, click here

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

Little update : rung Dell & can get them to help find problem for a one off fee . The guy was helpful when I told him problem and suggestions on here & that I wanted to know if I could repair from own cd . He said that was possible if nothing was wrong with hardware . He told me to try & boot & press F2 this would boot into bios and to leave it at this stage. This took me to the set up screen . It stayed on for a couple of hours until I turned it off. It didn't switch off & didn't try and reboot. The guy said if it stayed on it was more likely to be the operating system & so could ring them back & they would help do a repair install. I am toying with doing this or going to a recommended local supplier who does repairs/ sales as have been thinking of getting a new laptop for a while. I like the idea of buying laptop from a local business and having help local too. Thanks for all your help . This forum has helped me a lot since I got 1st pc about 10 years ago.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite