We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dead laptop

mermaid25

Likes # 0

I have a dell inspiron 6400. Switched off last night & it was installing the updates for XP & then shutting down. Have switched on today and nothing. Won't boot at all just a black screen & a flicker of the power light on & off . Am using mains as battery is not very good. Power source is ok . Probably a lost cause but thought I'd ask .

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

Erm . Its not on for long so not sure how it would be overheating. I'm technically challenged so am not sure how to remove hard drive . And then what would I do ? Or should I just seek physical help?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If the fan does run it will overheat in seconds

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/late6400/en/sm/html/hdd.htm

Close the display and turn the computer upside down.

Remove the two M3 x 3-mm screws.

Slide the hard drive out of the base assembly.

re start the machine and see if it boots to an error message but stays on.

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

The only message was unable to boot as the hard drive was missing. It ran a few tests and everything was ok . Replaced hard drive. Booted up ok was fine for about 10 mins & then just lost power & then back to random booting up & switching off .

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Good

So its looking like a fault with the drive probably caused by the update.

Do you have an XP CD?

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

Only have the OEM disk . Will I then have to do all the service packs & updates after that too?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

when you say OEM it should be ok if its a OEM XP CD and not a RESTORE CD.

Yes some of the updates will need to be reinstalled, when you get it running again make sure you back up all your data before reinstalling the updates.

Like this post
PcTestCard.co.uk

Likes # 0

dell laptops the battery seems important to the system, without the battery, evern the new Dell may has some weird performance.

The laptop should comes with its own self diagnostic hot keys. When laptop be powered on, press the hot keys, and hope that can run the self quick diagnostic test. Do not remember what those hot keys are for inspiron 6400.

The OS may need to reinstall from the CD since the last shut down seems already erased the boot files. If ok to use Last Known Good configuration, please try that(F8 key) when powering on.

hope this helps! Bill Tech Manager WPTinc

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

Fruit bat Thanks for all your help. the cd I have it says it is a reinstallation cd

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

That sounds as if it will put the machine back to the day you bought it. Not really what you want to do if you need everything off it.

See if you can borrow an XP CD exactly the same as that on your machine (home or pro or media centre.)

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

Actually think we have a 'proper ' cd for the desk top , will have look .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes