We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dead laptop

mermaid25

Likes # 0

I have a dell inspiron 6400. Switched off last night & it was installing the updates for XP & then shutting down. Have switched on today and nothing. Won't boot at all just a black screen & a flicker of the power light on & off . Am using mains as battery is not very good. Power source is ok . Probably a lost cause but thought I'd ask .

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

1) UNPLUG THE LAPTOP 2) REMOVE THE BATTERY 3) HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS TO 2 MINUTES 4) THEN PUT THE BATTERY BACK IN 5) START IT UP..

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

Tried that , I don't think that's the problem. Battery has not been good for a while so have used mains power for a long time. The power light is blinking with & without mains power. Mains power charger has a green light on so is working ok

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Try without battery, mains only.

Any fans or other noises or completely dead?

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

Tried without battery just mains. No noise , nothing , just blinking power light

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

just blinking power light is it changing colour orange / white?

if so faulty power supply unit.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try northumbria61's method again and this time remove the power cord as well as the battery.Then install the power cord only and try to start it.

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

Left till this morning. Then plugged into mains & it booted up . It loaded on to desktop , but just switched itself off. It is now randomly booting & switching off . At one point I came into room and it had a blue screen and it was running CHKDSK. It said volume was dirty and was performing several steps . It then switched off before completing. I have since tried to boot in safe mode & do system restore but it always switches off before it completes the process . This has all happened since the XP Update that was installed when I was shutting down on Wednesday night.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it boots and then switches off I think Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's suggestion of a faulty psu is right. If so don't play with the laptop until you can verify the power unit is faulty. Doing so might damage the motherboard. Do you know someone that can check the output of the psu?

Like this post
mermaid25

Likes # 0

Power light was blinking but green but that was yesterday . Power lights are as normal now . But now have random booting without me pressing power button and probs as stated in last post

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If its shutting down then various reasons

1. overheating - check all grills and fans are clean and working

2. faulty power supply or fault on board pulling down power supply

If its crashing and restarting then try booting with hard drive removed hopefuly it will boot to an error message and stay there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...