We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Android tablet for the near end of the year ahem!

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

Santa needs to bring two Android tablets to my house at the near end of the year. I know technology goes from leaps to bounds but any suggestions from today's tech. on what is the best Android and what to look out for? Bearing in mind two children are aged 9 and 7. I haven't a clue about these tablets. Obviously they should not be overly expensive, as my lad will surely find a way of breaking it, but not too cheap either. I've been on Amazon and noticed that ram and storage have been upgraded for the same price. Wondering if Android is the way to go because Apple is out of my financial league. Thanks.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Have a look on Amazon for Cube U9GT2 they are 9.7" capacitive touch screen (the same high quality screen as the ipad2`s have) running Android 4 ICS they come with either 8 or 16 GB internal micro sd cards, I have used both but was unable to notice any real difference, prices vary quite a bit so shop around

Cheers HC

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Tosh, but this one shows No Android Market Support. I suppose this is important for games?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

rdave13 - I think it does.

"Access tons of games, magazine, music, social entertainment apps and more from official android market! "

Speaking from personal experience I can recommend the Motorola Xoom which we have in the household. It works solidly with all the games, Office documents (But with some limitations) and you can add a 32Gb Micro SD card as well. You're looking at the wi-fi version 10.1" scree around £340 and the smaller media edition at just under £300

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

For 9 and 7 year olds I would consider a 7" tablet. There are a selection of 7" Android tablets for £70-100 which should keep kids happy.

I would definitely leave purchasing until December as this is a fast changing market.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

The Cube U9GT2 comes with Google Play Store installed this is the latest version of Android Market

Cheers HC

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thank you both for the great advice. Much appreciated. Will keep an eye on the market to see what deal I can get.

Like this post  
chub_tor

Likes # 0

When making you choice look for those with capacitive rather than resistive screens. The latter require a harder push and are less reliable.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks chub_tor, something like this I'll keep in mind.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings