We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ethernet wired v wireless internet connection

GMD

Likes # 0

I've always had a wired router but recently bought a wireless one so I could play BBC iPlayer through my TV. It is usually fine but sometimes gets extremely slow both for sending and receiving emails and for connecting to websites. So I have today tried going back to my wired router and it is much quicker. Is this a coincidence or a known fact? I live in a very rural area.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

There might be interference sometimes on the signal the router is sending. Have you tried changing the channel the router is broadcasting on?

Like this post
GMD

Likes # 0

I didn't know you could change channels. I am only talking about PC internet speed and emailing. I don't have any problems with the BBCiPlayer

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

BBCi player depends on internet speed. 2 Meg is the minimum I think for goodish performance. Try running a speed test a few times in a day on Ethernet and do the same again on wireless. This one is quite good.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

A wired connection is quicker than wireless.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Nontek, but not by much if you're fairly close to the router. My speed tests don't vary much from wi-fi to wired in the house. In the gaiden it's a different matter..... :(

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

rdave13

Agreed, but when one is in a Rural, poor reception area, every little helps.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm in a rural area. Reception depends on the router settings and the speed the ISP can supply.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Correction, the speed the ISP will supply without doing work in the exchange.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015