We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Laptop hangs on 'Windows XP' screen?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My 5 year old XP laptop hangs on the blue 'Windows XP' screen and does exactly the same when i try to start in safe mode, also the same in 'Last Known Good Configuration'. I do have an OEM XP CD.

Please can i have some/any tips as to what to do?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Here's a diagram showing some of the various parts of motherboard ClickHere

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This is how 'ASUS square box' Northbridge Chipset Cooler clips should be attached Clickhere Pic In your pic that grey gunk is thermal paste or tape it needs to be to scraped off and renewed. There are plenty of YouTube vids that show how.

Fujitsu Drivers & Downloads ClickHere Desktops | former models Desktops | SCALEO | and choose your scaleo....

As FB has said, SIW should have identified the Graphics Card. or you will have to look for the label and then you can choose Driver from the Fujitsu Drivers & Downloads Page

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I'll be honest, the video/graphics card is screwed in to the rear of the pc and doesn't look as if it is able to be 'wiggled' free.

Here, above the red asterisk- http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/30082012993.jpg

And being as my friend is desperate to get his PC back, i want to give it him back for a week so he can do what he needs to do and then hopefully i can install the drivers next weekend?

Does that sound ok?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That is not where you unscrew the card. Don't touch those 'screws' you will ruin the card.

May I suggest you look at some YouTube vids to see how it is done.

If your friend wants pc back, well it is his pc so no comment. As for drivers well don't suppose any harm in using the basic as it is now.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The screw is on the top of that bracket (bracket and card stay together) follow the bracket to the bottom left corner of your picture (just off screen)

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Oh bugger, i was so close! The PC is back together and ready to be returned......next time Gadget, next time!

Until next week i just want to say that i owe you and Lotvic a huge drink for your sheer helpfulness and patience.

Is there a way i can thank you both?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You just did :)

Maybe start a new thread next week this one is getting cumbersome and now isn't even about the laptop you started thread with :) (can always put a link in to this thread for reference)

Like this post
Wes.Clox

Likes # 0

reboot lappy

press F8

select Safe mode with a Command prompt

type

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

then press enter.

If it gets you this far it will start system restore.

If not

boot with xp oem disk

select

recovery console

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Sounds to me like a corrupt boot sector on the hard drive, do you know what make of hard drive it is?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Nope, it still hangs on the same screen.

What next after recovery console please?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days