We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Laptop hangs on 'Windows XP' screen?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My 5 year old XP laptop hangs on the blue 'Windows XP' screen and does exactly the same when i try to start in safe mode, also the same in 'Last Known Good Configuration'. I do have an OEM XP CD.

Please can i have some/any tips as to what to do?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Incidentally, i have just gone to Recovery console and performed a chkdsk and it said it 'Found one or more errors on the volume'.

Ok, im so sorry for all this trouble im causing you but please can i ask for instructions on how to shrink the C drive, make a D drive and copy all the files to the C drive?

I think i will then be ok to complete a fresh install on C drive...

Ps- I have a Vista laptop that i can connect the hd to!! Yay!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

run chkdsk /f/r at the recovery console prompt then see if it will boot.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I did that last week - shrunk my C: from 250GB to 100Gb (I only had OS and programs on it - all my Data personal docs are on a completely separate Harddrive) Then I made the newly Unallocated portion into a Partition and formatted it. I used the free prog EaseUS Partition Manager.

On a different vein for Fruit Bat is there anything in these instructions that can be modified to sort the non-booting issue digitalwebcast.com Tutorials

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Im afraid it comes up with 'This parameter is not valid'. Grrr.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ps- Thank you so very much to you Lotvic and you Fruit bat for all your hard work so far. I am extremely grateful you know..!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Lotvic, is there a possibility that i would lose data by reducing the partition size?

And how would i know that i have got all photos/videos/music/docs from a hd, is there any 'sure fire' way?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

just do

chkdsk /r

remember the space after chdsk before the /

lotvic

what we tried earlier was a shortened version of your link as only the system file was showing as an error.

is there a possibility that i would lose data by reducing the partition size?

Yes

how would i know that i have got all photos/videos/music/docs from a hd, is there any 'sure fire' way?

Only by copying the whole drive.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Oh you'll hate me now.

I followed the instructions that lotvic posted and it didn't work.....but it does now boot up in to 'Windows XP' (black screen background, colourful 'Windows XP' in the middle)...and then nothing.

Plus, i've just been into Recovery console to try chkdsk and after pressing '1' it is asking for my admin password?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

is there a possibility that i would lose data by reducing the partition size?

that and the rest... Yes, and all as Fruit Bat says.

My C: I had Acronis images taken before and after defragging before I used EasUS and still my heart was in mouth until newly reduced C: proved itself to be working. I lost a few settings but nothing major in my case. I'm not foolproof but try to make sure I can always 'go back to how it was before I messed with it' no matter what I'm changing.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tap F8 while booting and now try selecting last Known good configuration.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features