We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Laptop hangs on 'Windows XP' screen?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My 5 year old XP laptop hangs on the blue 'Windows XP' screen and does exactly the same when i try to start in safe mode, also the same in 'Last Known Good Configuration'. I do have an OEM XP CD.

Please can i have some/any tips as to what to do?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Oh and i have constantly pressed F10 on restart but no luck?

Computer details to follow.....

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ok, All it says is: Fujitsu Siemans. It is XP and has a sticker saying 'Intel Pentium 4 inside'. It is about 4 years old.

I know this hardly helps but it has 2 usbs on the front and lots on the back. As said before, no connections are usb, none of the 'other' kind (Cant describe what i mean).

Incidentally, when i choose 'Last known good configuration' i get this message: Windows could not start because the following files are corrupt or missing: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

I think, at this point, the most worrying issue is the Puppy Linux DVD not working?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I know nowt about Linux so can't be of any help with that, sorry.

However: You could always do as I suggested and simply connect the HDD to another pc and copy the 2 files you need to do the Repair installation.

OR

ok, it's a Fujitsu Siemans Pentium 4 series.... Try booting it up and tapping F8 to get the menu, it may have an entry to restore to Factory settings. Some do - some don't, certainly worth a try.

ClickHere forum.ts.fujitsu.com "HDBR is accessable by tapping F8 on switch on if you do not get the "repair my computer" option up then you have no access to it that way.

however you should try to Switch on the machine, Tap the F9 key immediately. The Fujitsu Siemens Computers Recovery program will be started. Select “Restore factory default settings” and then click “Continue”. Select “hard disk” as the installation source and click on “Continue”. Confirm that all the data on the hard disk is to be deleted by clicking on “Continue”. The system is then restored to its as-delivered state. I hope this works alternatively you will need an external DVD drive via USb if it doesnt."

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You could also try from the F8 menu restoring to an earlier date ClickHere

at command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

[So from all the suggestions you now have a choice of things to try :)]

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you so much for your help. Ok, i cant get to command prompt as it wont let me/wont load up so that's not an option. I cant use the 'restore to factory settings' as my friend has lots of data and programmes that he needs still on there.

So i will tonight try your idea of unplugging the hd and connecting it to my laptop and copying the files.

Ps- just to clarify- during the install i will get the option to input the product key, i will have the option to 'do this later' or similar?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

re your Ps- go back and read page 4. I put links with a walkthrough with screenshots.

Also You said you had done repair install quite a few times?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Apologies, i will check the links tonight, Yes i have done it 3 or 4 times but the last time must have been over 9 months ago and my memory is awful.

Im excited to try the technique tonight.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

To fix the "windows\system32\config\system file is mising or corrupt" where Xp wont boot:

Boot from the XP CD to Recovery Console and type:

cd system32\config ren system system.old ren system.alt systemalt.old copy c:\windows\repair\system copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system exit

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit bat but this is turning into a nightmare. When i get the pc into boot mode, it seems i only have about 4 seconds before it freezes.

However, i managed to highlight the external DVD drive that i have connected to it, press enter to choose it and then it gets to the options of safe mode etc etc.

I then restart it by the power supply (because none of the other options work) and the XP CD doesn't seem to want to spin.

It is connected by it's own power supply and works fine when it is plugged into my laptop.

The XP CD is fine, it works fine when it is loaded into my laptop too.

Grrrrr!

It just doesn't seem to want to fire up when the pc is restarted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014