We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Laptop hangs on 'Windows XP' screen?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My 5 year old XP laptop hangs on the blue 'Windows XP' screen and does exactly the same when i try to start in safe mode, also the same in 'Last Known Good Configuration'. I do have an OEM XP CD.

Please can i have some/any tips as to what to do?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Navigate to %systemroot%\system32 folder. Copy the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files to flash usb drive. (if there is no wpa.bak just copy the wpa.dbl and rename as wpa.bak, it is only a backup of wpa.dbl)

Reinstall XP in the normal manner. After the install is completed and the XP Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) appears where you'd normally activate the product, decline to activate and let the installation complete.

Activate the XP Reinstallation

Restart the computer and use the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Minimal Safe Mode using Up and Down Arrow Keys and press Enter. Navigate to %systemroot%\system32 folder. Rename the existing wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files. Using the flash drive, copy the previously backed up wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files to the %systemroot%\system32 folder. Reboot the computer. clickhere

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi and thank you.

Ok, two problems- 1, I downloaded the puppy Linux as a winzip file and burned that onto a DVD using Img burn and it doesn't seem to load from boot, even though i have changed boot order? 2, I have a usb keyboard but not a usb mouse. There are only ports for USBs, none for the other kind? I do have wireless usb mice but they will be no good will they?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Oh and no matter how i change the boot order, it wont boot up from an XP CD either. Can i boot up using Linux and a pen drive? (The usb drives appear in the boot order)

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hello, anyone?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

To boot from a CD/DVD (after you have changed boot order in bios) you have to 'press any key' at the prompt at the end of POST. it is easy to miss it as it's only there a few secs. So you have to power down and try again. I find that continually tapping the space bar when I think it is near time does it for me.

As for other stuff: Don't mix up Activation with the Product Key. They are two different items.

I think you still need a Product Key for the Repair Install, (it's a long time since I did one so can't be sure) wait for Fruit Bat /\0/\ to comment.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

BRILLIANT advice lotvic, thank you so much! Well i have done the repair install quite a few times but there is definitely no 'press any key' prompt.

Thanks for the reminder about activation, my query was/is dont i need the product key in order to activate? Kind of chicken/egg scenario?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

According to this guide to a Repair Install you shouldn't need to re-enter the product key that will already be on the original installation that you are repairing.

Part 1: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

Part 2: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair2.htm

I'd feel happier if you could say what Make and model the pc is. It may have a factory installed repair function already that just needs a sequence or F10 key press to access it.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ok, Update: I plugged in my external DVD drive and finally managed to get it to boot from the DVD. Phew!

The question now is can i navigate using my wireless usb mouse or do i need to get a wired mouse?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I don't know, I've not had that scenario with a wireless mouse.

If the original was a ps/2 mouse port you can get adapters that do ps/2 to usb. They don't cost much and will be available locally. Pic of adapter

Are you booting up with Linux puppy or the XP CD?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, After 28 minutes i still had this message showing on the screen with no progress:

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives. Searching for Puppy Files pausing....pausing....pausing... Loading the 'puppyslacko5.3.3.sfs' main file....copying to ram

Hmmmm....i take it that is not good newws?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes