We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Laptop hangs on 'Windows XP' screen?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My 5 year old XP laptop hangs on the blue 'Windows XP' screen and does exactly the same when i try to start in safe mode, also the same in 'Last Known Good Configuration'. I do have an OEM XP CD.

Please can i have some/any tips as to what to do?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Lotvic, It's a desktop so getting the hard drive out will be easy. Do you mean i can then see the Windows key? Im sure i remember a program that helps you find the Windows key from a working hard drive?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I was meaning the files that Fruit Bat /\0/\ said. Maybe he will know if you could retrieve the Product key from it as well. (if it is a factory pre-activated oem install it will (may) not be the same key as would have been on the tower sticker. But you cannot use a factory pre-activated oem key for an install from a DVD, you would need the files that go with it) Do you know what make and model the pc is?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You can only get the key from a working copy of windows.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Thank you.

Please can i ask for further instructions of what to do once i've used the Linux CD?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Use the linux CD to copy the files then boot with the XP cd to do the repair install as detailed earlier in the thread.

Once XP is up and running again copy the file back into the windows system32 folder and reboot.

It will then be back to normal with no activation require but you may have to update.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you for that, Im on it!

Please can i ask how copying this file works?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

these files contain the activation code that complies with your system and hardware

they are over written when you reinstall windows hence the need to copy before repaing and put back aftrewards

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Apologies. I was under the impresson that i had to put the activation code in at the very last part of the install?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

So am i not correct in assuming this?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hello, anyone?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote