We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Laptop hangs on 'Windows XP' screen?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My 5 year old XP laptop hangs on the blue 'Windows XP' screen and does exactly the same when i try to start in safe mode, also the same in 'Last Known Good Configuration'. I do have an OEM XP CD.

Please can i have some/any tips as to what to do?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

activate by phone see here

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Briliant!!!! Thank you (as ever!!)

I'd like to know why Windows behaves in this way though? I haven't installed or uninstalled any programmes for months?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can be caused by a bad update or any corrupt system file required during boot.

If it happens again its possibly the start of a failing hard drive.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you (as usual mate)

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Quick update: This has happened to a friend's computer and im about to use the XP disk but i notice that the xp sticker on the computer is ripped. Will i need the code to repair xp using the disk?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Really could do with an answer on this asap please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes you need the number

however if you can boot using a linux live CD or other bootable media,

you can copy the windows\system32\WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK to a memory stick

when XP is repaired copy these fi;es back to their original postion and XP will not need activating.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you Fruitbat.

I have not got a Linux CD but im willing to give this a try. Please could you point me towards some instructions as this is a new technique to me? Thank you for this.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Or if you have the necessary connection cables (2.5 drive to usb) you could take out the laptop hard drive and connect it to another pc and then copy the files. (you may need to enable 'Show hidden files and folders, and system files' in folder Views)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Puppy linux here is supposed to be easy to use for a newbie to linux.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

What's new in VR: the companies creating exciting new mixes of augmented and virtual reality

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...