We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Laptop hangs on 'Windows XP' screen?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My 5 year old XP laptop hangs on the blue 'Windows XP' screen and does exactly the same when i try to start in safe mode, also the same in 'Last Known Good Configuration'. I do have an OEM XP CD.

Please can i have some/any tips as to what to do?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If boot sequence stop at one file *.sys, it doesn't mean there is problem with THAT file.

It could be problem with driver which follow last shown driver.

Plug drive into other machine >

go to \windows\system32\drivers folder on bad drive and check, if there any *.sys file with 0 length. make a note of them delete.

then copy a good version of the file either from the XP CD or same folder if your good machine is using XP.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

My GOD you're good!!!

I'll get on it.....

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ok, it is connected.

Please can i ask you to clarify what you mean by '*.sys file with 0 length'?

What does '0' length mean?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ah, you mean 0 bytes.

Im afraid no .sys files have 0 but MsftKernelRimSerial_01007.WDF and two other similar ones have 0 bytes?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Would it help if i copied all the .sys files anyway either from the CD or another XP laptop i have?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I don't have that one but I do have 3 files MST....

with 0 bytes

so I suggest they aren't the problem so leave them alone.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Rightio.

Please dont hate me for trying but i am trying to be proactive so i searched about for the same problems and someone cured there's by, quote, 'Same problem and I fixed it restoring pciide.sys from cd and deleting an empty file .sys (0 kb) in windows\system32\drivers.'

from this link: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/906381-safe-mode-boot-stops-isapnp.html

Worth a go, Fruit bat?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ok if no files with O byes

put it back in the laptop and try to boot into safe mode again and tell us exactly which file it stops on.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Im on it....

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

you could check file sizes against same files in a known good machine and copy the good file over.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room