We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Laptop hangs on 'Windows XP' screen?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, My 5 year old XP laptop hangs on the blue 'Windows XP' screen and does exactly the same when i try to start in safe mode, also the same in 'Last Known Good Configuration'. I do have an OEM XP CD.

Please can i have some/any tips as to what to do?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit bat, unfortunately i tried that and it got the the Windows xp page....and then went black. DOH!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Give more details on unfortunately i tried that and it got the the Windows xp page....and then went black

Which XP page? Did the F8 menu come up? does the black screen have a flashing cursor on it?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Sorry, as posted slightly earlier,

'I followed the instructions that lotvic posted and it didn't work.....but it does now boot up in to 'Windows XP' (black screen background, colourful 'Windows XP' in the middle)...and then nothing.'.

And i mean the whole screen went black after about 5 seconds of the Windows xp page coming up. No flashing cursor or anything. Just black.

Yes the F8 meny comes up.

When i try safe mode or safe mode with networking i get a page full of strange code (blah blah sys) and it stays static and doesn't change.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Just a quick question- I've managed to copy everything apart from the Windows folder from the hd to my external drive so i was about to attempt to reduce the partition and create another (D drive) but if i've copied all the data then am i right in thinking that there is no point in doing this and may as well just do a clean install on the C drive?

And do you think that all other options to get this hd to boot up have been exhausted?

I really dont mind trying anything else, im quite keen. It just seems that im fairly close if i can get to the Windows XP screen with the black background that it'd be silly to just give up.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you can get F8 > safe mode with command prompt, you may be able to bring up the system restore dates.

I think you should wait for Fruit Bat to advise.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ah im afraid that i get the same result using Safe mode with command prompt as i do with choosing just safe mode: The screen seems to freeze with a page full of information that ends, by memory, with 'sys'.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ah im afraid that i get the same result using Safe mode with command prompt as i do with choosing just safe mode: The screen seems to freeze with a page full of information that ends, by memory, with 'sys'.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Safe mode always shows pages of 'information' while it loads.

As this seems to be a boot into windows problem, I am wondering if you have exhausted all the options on the XP install CD menu? Did you try the 'Boot Normally' ? This will use files that reside on the CD to complete the boot-up process, eventually putting you into Windows just as it normally would when you turn on your computer.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I've lost track a bit, remind me please: What version of XP (home, pro) is on the pc and make & model. Is it OEM on the pc and an OEM CD? Does your XP oem cd match the version on the pc?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

system32\config problem: System Restore Using the Recovery Console in Windows XP YouTubeVid good bit starts around 5 mins in.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes