We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

McAfee v Chrome confliction re firewall

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Have a laptop whose owner had been having problems with IE. Have installed Google Chrome to see if she prefers it BUT when I try to open Chrome, get a message 'unable to access the network - error 138' and suggests 'add Chrome as a permitted prog to your firewall or antivirus settings'.

When I open McAfee, the home page shows firewall on. When I click settings, the firewall page shows firewall off, and clicking 'turn on briefly changes it to on, then goes off again! windows firewall says it's off and being managed by McAfee.

Never had this problem with Chrome or McaFee before - any ideas?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Turned out to be a corrupt McAfee installation - uninstalled, ran the additional uninstall tool, then downloaded a fresh copy. All OK now.

As an aside, the problems with IE turned out to be the dreaded Trusteer Rapport, that's given me so much grief over the last year or two.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote