We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scam Paypal email??

IanS1

Likes # 0

Hi Guys, I just recieved the following email (copy below), which says it comes from Paypal, and which says that I have used Paypal to pay $740 to someone called Jordan Gross ... I have never actualy tried to pay anything to anyone called Jordan Gross, and have not used Paypal to buy anything from the USA for at least 5 years.

I assume this is some sort of Scam email trying to persuade me to click their links to what their email says are "Paypal" options/pages?

I have NOT clicked any of the links in that email.

My question is - I'm not all that savvy on compters, the intenet or scams like this, so I'd be grateful if one of you more experienced guys could tell me if you think this is a pretty obvious scam?

I logged into my Paypal accout separately (ie NOT via any links in that email, but just from the usual Windows address bar), and there it shows no such payment of $740 to anyone (it just shows the last three payments I made in the UK for small eBay items).

Is this a scam? Can I ignore it? Copy of their mail message below -

*Hello [email protected], You sent a payment of $740.48 USD to Jordan Gross Thanks for using PayPal. To see all the transaction details, Log In to your PayPal account.

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

Seller [email protected] Note to seller You haven't included a note. Shipping address - confirmed 6757 Sodales Rd. Binghamton United States Shipping details The seller hasn't provided any shipping details yet. Description Unit price Qty Amount 1927 Supermarine S.5 & Gloster seaplane Schneider Trophy Race Photograph Item# 089779476 $740.48 USD 23 $740.48 USD

Shipping and handling $0.00 USD Insurance - not offered ---- Total $740.48 USD Payment $740.48 USD

Issues with this transaction? You have 45 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute in the Resolution Center. Questions? Go to the Help Center at: www.paypal.com/help. Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click Help in the top right corner of any PayPal page. You can receive plain text emails instead of HTML emails. To change your Notifications preferences, log in to your account, go to your Profile, and click My settings. PayPal Email ID PP028*

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Yes you did the right thing.

You can forward it, without changing the subject or adding a message to [email protected]

ie just Forward, Send

I got one recently, telling me my account had been 'Limited'

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Yes it is a scam.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps a further bit of advice?.

Be careful about publishing email address's over the internet, especially if they link to you. Nothing like having further spam heading your way?.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

Nothing to worry about, my wife gets alot of these, she just sends it straight to paypal.

Like this post
IanS1

Likes # 0

OK, thanks very much guys. I appreciate your opinions and help on this.

And, yep I knew my email address was in the scam message, but I wanted to show the entire message just as I received it, though I do take the point about me being more careful not leave the address there in future. Also, I checked my Paypal account again today, and no such transaction or payment of $740 appears (nor anything to anyone called Gross!).

Thanks again to everyone for the very helpful replies.

All the best,

Ian.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

so i take it you are ian sayer next time please dont publish this info, someone could try now to impersonate you. As Spuds has pointed out plase dont its not worth it, a simple mistake can go a long way and open a can of worms or spiders webs all over the place.

I wonder if the FE could if possible blank out the email addresses as a precaution or someone at PCA

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...