We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Odd behaviour after sleep mode (not mine!)

exdragon
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi - I've finally got Win 7 up and running. I have two monitors and if I put the pc into sleep mode, when it wakes up, my desktop has moved to the secondary monitor. Things go back to normal if I select (on the secondary one) Screen Resolution and then Detect.

With XP, I used Hibernate, which didn't cause this to happen. It's not a major catastrophe, but any idea why?

Still can't get SP1 to install....

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You can use Hibernate on W/7 if you so wished.

It took me about 3 months to find a way to install SP1 on my W/7 computer.All I can remember was I had to install it from a different source but cannot remember what.

You should get free advice from Microsoft as it is one of their updates.

Hibernate.Go to control panel.Power Options.Click on choose what the power button does.Then click on the dropdown box and choose Hibernate.

Not sure if you had problems with your computer whether that setting could interfere with any recovery work or not.XP used to give you the oppertunity of choosing which way you wanted to shut down and I am not sure if W/7 will be the same or not as I have not tried it.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

SP1 should be on any W7 installation CD by now. If it's not on yours - which based on your post it's not - then MS offer installation details which may help.

Depending on what AV you have, probably one of the best bets is to download the SP1 package, go offline, disable your security and install from the download itself.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

£6.59 if you want to order the SP1 Dvd from Microsoft and not sure if that will work or not.

I must admit I tried most of the things on johndrew's click here without success.Just wonder why some computers have problems downloading it and others don't.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Why would you want to pay for a free update, you can either download a Windows 7 + SP1 iso and burn it to disk, or download SP! and burn it to disk. No need to pay £6.59.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chronus

I have to agree about paying but could not find out where to download SP1 and burn to disc.

I have already used your W/7 SP1 and burn to disc and it worked well.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have just brought a computer back into use, with W7 and all the updates. Everything downloaded and installed successfully, but it did take quite some time to complete the task. That also include MSE.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Thanks for the comments.

As far as Hibernate is concerned, it's in Power Options, but doesn't appear in the Start>Restart/Sleep/Log off etc drop down menu. I'll have another poke around in Power Options.

As for SP1 - I've tried every conceivable link I could find but just go round in circles. By the time it's sorted, SP2 will probably be out. Perhaps I'll try the burn option...if Nero works.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You can use W/7 to burn to disc.I did when downloading W/7 SP1 to disc and after running it I got a pop up box from W/7 asking if I wanted it to burn to disc for me.So went ahead with that and used it on my grand daughters laptop with no problems.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Thats odd is says a reply from the FE 2 hours ago and nothing on here from him.

Obviously when I post this the FE bit will be removed.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

buteman, the spam and my comments have been removed. Its possible the FE is having communication problems, not being at his regular daily location?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......