We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

UNABLE TO PLAY DVDS ON WMP 11

roger mellie

Likes # 0

my works laptop has just had a reinstall, trouble is im now on WINDOWS XP & not WINDOWS 7 & OFFICE 2003 not 2010 Im not able to use my EXEL files properly now & on trying to play dvds WMP 11 says i have no compatible dvd decoder . What decoder is free & compatible with WMP 11? & is it possible to get WINDOWS 7 & OFFICE 2010 back with out incurring any costs to my self?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As it's a works laptop I would think you will have to take it to the IT dept I presume they have done the reinstall and left you with XP instead of W7 and Office 2003 instead of 2010 - though why they would do that is beyond me

Like this post
roger mellie

Likes # 0

thanks lotvic, but thats the reason im asking here as our IT dept cannot spell IT, why the hell we employ them is beyond me. so the questions still stands

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Just download VLC player if you don't wish to download K-Lite codecs for playing DVDs. For the other questions, pull the plug on the laptop when XP is in full flow. Reboot and select 'boot normally' until it doesn't. Take it back to IT and say XP doesn't work... 8-|

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ah, the perfect way to thoroughly mess up the harddrive :)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, yup, but help, all the same, in this situation.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Seems good advice to me, as for no reason IT dept have downgraded OS and Office installation to the point of making work difficult "OFFICE 2003 not 2010 Im not able to use my EXEL files properly now"

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Office 2007 uses the DOCx syststem while Office 2003 uses the DOC system.

Download the compability pack and all your office 2007- 2010 will be accessable.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/microsoft-office-compatibility-pack-for-word-excel-and-powerpoint-HA010168676.aspx

Terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Terry Brown, yes that's the 'workaround' for office, but if it was me I would be more concerned with why IT dept. have downgraded to XP and Office 2003. Doesn't make sense that they should do that. It might have been a mistake of some sort or an in dept 'joke'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...