We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Quick settings question for Virginmedia connection.

buteman

Likes # 0

Just a quick question.

My daughter got a Superhub from Virginmedia this morning and the signal is what you would call crap.

I have the same ISP using W/7 and my daughter has XP.

She lives half a mile away and I just wondered if my settings for the ip4 address.Subnet,default gateway,ip4 dns.

Would her settings be the same as mine as we are using the same ISP.

Or would they be completely different.

Unfortunately she cant connect her computer using an Ethernet cable till thursday morning as she is getting the cable moved from upstairs to downstairs.Her computer is already downstairs but was connected by wireless.

I don't suppose it will cause any problems just trying it and setting it manually.

What do you think.

Getting a very poor signal from upstairs with the new Superhub

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

finerty

Wireless connection.

Reading about a few problems with it there does not seem to be any problems wired just that the wireless connection is very poor in some cases.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just more problems that they are going to get when moving the Superhub downstairs.

They live in a 3 storey house.The router is upstairs in one of the bedrooms middle floor.

Grandson has X-Box and I-pod connected to wireless middle floor.

Grandaughter is on the top floor and has her laptop connected to wireless.

And 1 computer downstairs bottom floor connected by wireless and a Wii.

And I can see problems ahead.

At the moment the signal downstairs is very poor and the signal to the top floor is also poor using the Superhub.

They are supposed to be coming tomorrow to fit new cable downstairs which will probably mean that the signal to the middle floor and top floor will probably be useless.

Any ideas as to how or what to do to remedy the problem.Needed the new Superhub as they were getting upgraded to 30Mb.

I now know that I can use the Superhub as a modem and connect the old router to it and use that and leave it in the middle floor but you cant have all those flashing lights in a bedroom.No sleep springs to mind.

So basically what we need is a signal booster that will boost the signal all the way to the top floor from the bottom floor if possible.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

..you cant have all those flashing lights in a bedroom..

Can't you switch it off at night. My Router and modem are switched off when I go to bed. Can't really see the need to leave them on when not being used. Not a 'Superhub' but connected to Virgin Cable.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Or you could just cover the lights in Tape.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

BT If the grand daughter goes to bed and switches it off it means the rest of the Household will not be able to use it.

Chronus.Good idea as usual and would try that but the light comes out of the top of it as well and that's where the air vents are so cannot cover that bit.

Will see what happens tomorrow when they put the cable in Downstairs.

Not sure if using it as a modem and connecting the old router to it would give a better signal or not.

I have the same Superhub but have to turn it off at night.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well no new cable fitted.He Fiddled about with the Wire upstairs and the Superhub left the Hub lying on the bed and checked the computer downstairs.Still a bad signal.

So he opened a laptop upstairs and walked downstairs with it and sure enough the signal was very good.

So decided to try a virgin dongle in it to see if it was any better and the signal was better but not by a lot.Signal still dropping a bit but better than the way it was.

Went back upstairs and shifted the Hub up onto the shelf where it usually sits went back downstairs and the signal was worse.

So upstairs again I moved the hub onto the floor and then tried again downstairs and it was holding a fairly steady good signal.

Who ever had installed NTL in the first place instead of running a cable to the house they connected to next door neighbours box in their garden.So they are going to get someone else to come and lay a new cable.

Now still have the problem with the Hub lights flashing all night in the grand daughter bedroom the black tape will work on the big Blue light but the others have air vents on them so need to figure a way to prevent all the lights showing.

He left the new dongle for us free of charge so you can't argue with that.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Is this the hub of which you speak? Super Hub. Surely you can cut a thin strip of black tape and run it over the green lights?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chronus

Either that or paint them black.

Never thought of the thin strip.That would do It.

It would only take me 15 minutes to shift the cable from upstairs to downstairs if they wanted it that way but will wait and see what they want to do.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

buteman

I was also thinking black nail polish,I use it quite a bit to disguise silver screw heads but it will work on the LED's and of course can be removed. So if you have any Goths in the family I am sure they will have some.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus that gives me something else to try.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015