We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Quick settings question for Virginmedia connection.

buteman

Likes # 0

Just a quick question.

My daughter got a Superhub from Virginmedia this morning and the signal is what you would call crap.

I have the same ISP using W/7 and my daughter has XP.

She lives half a mile away and I just wondered if my settings for the ip4 address.Subnet,default gateway,ip4 dns.

Would her settings be the same as mine as we are using the same ISP.

Or would they be completely different.

Unfortunately she cant connect her computer using an Ethernet cable till thursday morning as she is getting the cable moved from upstairs to downstairs.Her computer is already downstairs but was connected by wireless.

I don't suppose it will cause any problems just trying it and setting it manually.

What do you think.

Getting a very poor signal from upstairs with the new Superhub

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Super Hub

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEWARTICLE&ARTICLEID=345044&CURRENTCMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITIONID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VMCUSTOMERTYPE=Cable

Now not sure if it is the exact same model or not but once again looks identicle.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

buteman

That link is rubbish, your an old timer here,surely you know how to post a link.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try this one and check the reviews at the bottom.Looks like some poor reviews for it.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless-routers/1282879/virgin-media-super-hub

Checking some other Customer reviews a lot with the same views that it not very good.

So maybe we are getting the old stock to get rid of them so that they can then get something better.

Knowing not a lot what would happen if I connected her old netgear router to it.Would it just make things more difficult and give out the wrong signal.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just PCA you don't know when it is going to show or not to show the Full address.

Not saying that was the problem that time but many a time I have opened the link at the bottom before posting and it worked fine.Then you post it and it does not open correctly.

Bring back the old click here I say.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

'what would happen if I connected her old netgear router to it' If you switch off the superhub wireless it will work perfectly well. Check out this from virgin How do I set up Modem Mode on my Super Hub?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

buteman's 1st link to help.virgin media.com Super Hub

it's the _ underscores that beggar link up - if there's two of them the bit inbetween turns into italics

I find it better to highlight some words in my post and then click on the globe link and paste the url into the box that pops up.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

bluesbrother

Nice one that may come in handy.Thanks.

Lotvic

I never quite knew why some of them would not work.Now I do.Thanks

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

bluesbrother

I don't suppose there is any way of switching the lights off on it without switching the router off.

It is like Blackpool illuminations in here at night with all the lights flashing.

I usually have to switch it off at night if I have to sleep in the spare room for some reason.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

the connection is it wired or wireless router

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

When i got mine we had wired and so far no problems

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen