We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Quick settings question for Virginmedia connection.

buteman

Likes # 0

Just a quick question.

My daughter got a Superhub from Virginmedia this morning and the signal is what you would call crap.

I have the same ISP using W/7 and my daughter has XP.

She lives half a mile away and I just wondered if my settings for the ip4 address.Subnet,default gateway,ip4 dns.

Would her settings be the same as mine as we are using the same ISP.

Or would they be completely different.

Unfortunately she cant connect her computer using an Ethernet cable till thursday morning as she is getting the cable moved from upstairs to downstairs.Her computer is already downstairs but was connected by wireless.

I don't suppose it will cause any problems just trying it and setting it manually.

What do you think.

Getting a very poor signal from upstairs with the new Superhub

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

bluesbrother

I am on the 20Mb and bbmax always show about 20.500Kbps so not sure just how close to the 20mb that is.Must be close.

This one confirms just over 20Mb

http://www.speedtest.net/

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

So was I buteman, untill about 6 weeks ago, the wireless connection through my old router was much more reliable. Virgin deny it but I'm sure there is a probem with wireless on the superhubs. When I use a cable I get full speed, on one occassion I got a download speed of over 70000 kbps.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

Forgot to add results from speedtest.net 22.75 mbps

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"I think once she is connected Via Ethernet it may give the computer the proper settings and maybe then she will pick up the signal better when going back to Wireless." - Don't think that is likely. It is not going to pick up the wireless settings when connected by ethernet.

The router and the line to it are more likely to affect download speed than the computer. Speed of using that connection though will depend on the computer. Signal strength would seem to be the main problem eg only 20%.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

am on the 20Mb and bbmax always show about 20.500Kbps so not sure just how close to the 20mb that is.Must be close.

er 500KB's

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chronus

I know.It's me still not got a clue about metric measurements either.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Not actually sure what the problem is but I can say with a laptop switched on and connected to the Superhub as soon as you leave the room that it is in the signal drops dramatically.

It is affecting the Kids I-pods as well.

Laptop usually has a good connection downstairs and now the connection is very Poor.

It could well be Ok when they run a new cable in downstairs on Thursday so will see what like the signal is like upstairs using the Laptop and I-pods.

It could well be the power to the cable is either to weak or two strong which could affect it I suppose.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Disregard power in cable. From what you have posted the problem seems to be wireless signal strength which is being affected by the layout of the house. I'm not familiar with the Superhub but did you go through BRYNIT's link?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which d-link dongle is it?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Not sure till I go back up.An oldish one I would say.

This looks like it almost identicle.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/300720145802?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

Got a much better signal with the old Netgear Router.So being a Superhub you would imagine it would be better or stronger but not at the moment it's not.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad