We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Quick settings question for Virginmedia connection.

buteman

Likes # 0

Just a quick question.

My daughter got a Superhub from Virginmedia this morning and the signal is what you would call crap.

I have the same ISP using W/7 and my daughter has XP.

She lives half a mile away and I just wondered if my settings for the ip4 address.Subnet,default gateway,ip4 dns.

Would her settings be the same as mine as we are using the same ISP.

Or would they be completely different.

Unfortunately she cant connect her computer using an Ethernet cable till thursday morning as she is getting the cable moved from upstairs to downstairs.Her computer is already downstairs but was connected by wireless.

I don't suppose it will cause any problems just trying it and setting it manually.

What do you think.

Getting a very poor signal from upstairs with the new Superhub

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

This may help. From the Virgin Media help site Click here

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

BRYNIT

Thanks for that just heading up to my daughters just now so if I can connect to the internet I will have another look at your click here.

Got a very poor signal and although it would connect now and then it would not open any browsers etc.Or update any programs.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

I changed the channel from the default to 11, made a big difference.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If she's using wireless connection then it's prob the walls obstructing the signal from the router.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

bluesbrother

Ntl helpline talked me into changing to 11 today.And that ws without a network connection.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

lotvic

The old netgear router gave a better signal.

Got it going slowly at the moment.Added my connections from my computer and only got it going when I unticked the DNS.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

inSSIDer will tell you if any of the neighbours are on the same channel, which could be interfering with your signal. If there is just pick a free one and you should see an improvement.

inSSIDer

Don't try a speedtest while inSSIDer is running, it hogs all the bandwidth.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

bluesbrother

Not sure if I need that or not as she has only one Sky user on her list of wireless signals.

I think once she is connected Via Ethernet it may give the computer the proper settings and maybe then she will pick up the signal better when going back to Wireless.

She is just using a d-link wireless dongle and I am just wondering if that is compatible with the new Superhub or not.

She is supposed to be getting a 20-30Mb download and is just getting about 13.5Mb just now,So maybe some of the computer settings not quite right.She is still on XP on an oldish computer that has seen better days.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

BRYNIT

Tried your click here when I managed to get her computer to work but was only picking up a 20% signal and could not scroll through it.

Will have another look at it on my computer a little later.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

I'm on the 60meg package and at the moment my download speed, as reported by speedtest.bbmax.co.uk is 29262 kbps and by BBC iPlayer diagnosticsis 31321 kbps. At other times I've had reported speeds of 4, 5 and sometimes even 6 thou kbps.

Take these results with a pinch of salt, I've yet to find a trully accurate one.

Just did another test at speedtest.bbmax.co.uk it now says my download speed is 45905 kbps and according to BBC iPlayer diagnostics my speed is now 44681 kbps.

15 minutes between the two tests.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund