We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Several .ppt files won't open

The Teacher

Likes # 0

Evening all,

I have some files on my hard drive with the .ppt extension. They are genuine Powerpoint files, some of which I have created myself, and they are saved, along with others, on my portable hard drive.

For some reason, they will not open but other Powerpoint presentations will do.

I get a message that says: Powerpoint can't open the type of file represented by G:\foldername\filename.ppt

I have done the "open with" bit and it states in there that it opens with Powerpoint.

Anyone any clue as to what the problem may be or how I may solve it? The files have been opened before as I use(d) them for work.

I am running Win 7 64 bit with Microsoft Office 10.

Thanks

The Teacher

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Couple of things to try:

What happens if you copy the powerpoint file to your computer hard drive, then open powerpoint and try to open it directly? (i.e. not by double clicking it.

Are you sure the file extension is .ppt and not .pps? You might need to go to the Organise menu, file and folder options, view tab and untick the "Hide extensions for known file types"

Let us know how you get on.

Like this post
The Teacher

Likes # 0

Hi Taff,

Done both, it is .ppt, and won't open from copying to laptop and using Powerpoint instead of double clicking.

The Teacher

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

This is a tricky one then! Try installing the Powerpoint Viewer MS Powerpoint Viewer

I suspect something has got corrupted. Either the MS Office installation or the actual Powerpoint files. Hope it's not the latter.

Have you tried opening these files on another computer?

Like this post
The Teacher

Likes # 0

Tried it on other PCs and they won't open.

What I can't understand is why it is just these few, all my other powerpoints open without a problem.

Will try the viewer and see if that works.

The Teacher

Like this post
The Teacher

Likes # 0

Powerpoint Viewer no good, as it it says it doesn't support the file, only those created with Powerpoint 97 and above.

However, the document properties say that it is a microsoft Powerpoint 1997 - 2003 presentation.

Would altering the file extension make a difference, and if so what was the extension prior to 1997?

The Teacher

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

It has always been .ppt as far as I remember. You could try .pps though. Sadly it sounds as if they have become corrupted. One final thought is to check the file permissions. (In Properties)

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

Are the problem files very old (>10 years)? MS provide a tool to allow more recent versions of Office open files created with early versions.

You could try opening the files using another office suite such as Open Office or Libre Office.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

The PowerPoint Viewer link I gave earlier does in fact work with every version back to Office 97 (See System Requrement on the link page) Scotty is thinking of the MS Office Compatibility Tool but that should be included in Office 2010 anyway.

Good idea about LibreOffice - might be worth a try.

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

Taff, there is an issue relating to Office 2003 SP3 which prevents certain earlier files being opened. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 . There may be an equivalent issue with Office 10.

I think the compatability tool is mainly to allow older versions of Office to open more recent files.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks